speed of an inline square baler?

/ speed of an inline square baler? #13  
I run my 1950's JD 14T at 1 stroke per second with 15 flakes (that's 1 flake per stoke). so, 4 bales per minute or 240 bales per hour. Another twist to this is that I'm all by myself, and pick them up with a NH 1012 stackwagon that I can retrieve 64 with 56 on the last table and 8 in the second table and shut down before that load tries to stuff it (no room for more than 56). So that means I bale for about 15 - 20 minutes. Because I mow with a 9' NH479 cutter at the same speed/gear as I bale, this means I cut for 15-20 minutes at a time and stop. After it's dry, I get a stacker load, customers are waiting in line and I'm done for each segment. If a customer can handle more than 64 at a time, I adjust the cut time accordingly. The 1012 has a self unload feature designed for feeding an elevator, pu truck or trailer. All I have to do is run the unload lever, the gals toss it into their truck and trailer.

BTW: most horse hay purchasers are not fans of 50# bales because of their own handling needs back at their barn. Been doing it this way for 30+ years and just about the same customers as when I started out. Before this, loading a barn was an awful job. Toss 20 on the elevator, run upstairs and stack then back for more unloading in spite having a mow elevator running the length of the barn. I wanted tractoring, mowing, raking, and baling to be fun for all, not hated. That's the way it is. This system also keeps me out of weather problems, too. Worth the gamble. No more winter purchases, too ! All sold at end of 2nd cutting.

/ speed of an inline square baler? #15  
Y
I never have any left over myself. All sold.
You're lucky or don't make many bales. I inventoried my rd bales in early part of Jan & had 297 4X5+ bales on hand. I didn't want a lot of added income in 2022 so I haven't advertised my hay. Since 1st of year I've sold 100 rd bales.

/ speed of an inline square baler? #16  

That reminds of the old saying "kettle calling the pot black"!!!

Indeed, Jim. So true. :LOL:

Hope you are well and going to keep haying next year? You keep me (and probably quite a few others) inspired with how you keep on going!!

Last edited:
   / speed of an inline square baler? #17  
For the last 5 years, I've had one customer than buys all of them. I run them and load them on his semi trailers and off they go. He'd take even more if I did them. I don't want to actually. They all go to his feedlot operation no mushroom hay here. :p

/ speed of an inline square baler? #18  
Indeed, Jim. So true. :LOL:

Hope you are well and going to keep haying next year? You keep me (and probably quite a few others) inspired with how you keep on going!!
Thanks for words of encouragement
The jury still out on if I'll continue harvesting hay this year or put my hay equipment up for sale. It's very difficult to find competent hay equipment operator that's willing to show up & operate hay equipment.

/ speed of an inline square baler? #19  
I just purchased a used Case 8545 small square baler. What kind of numbers of bales per hour can I expect from this baler. I have it attached to an 85 hp tractor and my bales are around 3ft long and weigh around fifty pounds.

I baled with it today and in 2 hours, I baled 370 bales on the counter. I had some break open and I had to rethread a needle once due to the twine breaking.

Is this the norm for an inline baler, I thought it would be a little faster?

Marshall
Using your numbers, and estimating 10 minutes for rethreading the needle, that's a bale every 18 seconds. I don't see how to expect anything better than that. Maybe increase ground speed?

Each bale should have 12-15 "strokes" or "leafs". Figuring 15, your plunger is making a full revolution every 1.2 seconds.

So, I'm guessing your bales have a lot less strokes per bale. Break one and count them. I've saw bales with many less, such as 4 or 5 strokes. They are functional bales but nothing pretty about them. And very hard to handle without breaking the bale.

Sure wouldn't want to be the stacker guy on your wagon pulled behind your baler. :)

/ speed of an inline square baler? #20  
Using your numbers, and estimating 10 minutes for rethreading the needle, that's a bale every 18 seconds. I don't see how to expect anything better than that. Maybe increase ground speed?

Each bale should have 12-15 "strokes" or "leafs". Figuring 15, your plunger is making a full revolution every 1.2 seconds.

So, I'm guessing your bales have a lot less strokes per bale. Break one and count them. I've saw bales with many less, such as 4 or 5 strokes. They are functional bales but nothing pretty about them. And very hard to handle without breaking the bale.

Sure wouldn't want to be the stacker guy on your wagon pulled behind your baler. :)
He hasn't been seen since two months after he posted that....8 years ago.