speed of an inline square baler?

/ speed of an inline square baler? #1  

Marshall R

Tractor
John Deere, 4030, 4230, and 5085M
I just purchased a used Case 8545 small square baler. What kind of numbers of bales per hour can I expect from this baler. I have it attached to an 85 hp tractor and my bales are around 3ft long and weigh around fifty pounds.

I baled with it today and in 2 hours, I baled 370 bales on the counter. I had some break open and I had to rethread a needle once due to the twine breaking.

Is this the norm for an inline baler, I thought it would be a little faster?

Marshall

/ speed of an inline square baler? #2  
I have a Case inline baler and I do need to bale fairly slow with it. Baling too fast will cause the edges of the bales to not be tight and square. I don't really keep track of bales per hour as I use a bale wagon and thrower so I'm not constantly baling. I would guess I bale around 240 per hour in a good field though.

/ speed of an inline square baler? #3  
Marshall your bales seem to be soft for 50lbs at three foot! I've never worked with bales per hour but I don't think you are out of line with your numbers but with out issues you should be another 100 per hour. What twine are you using, 7200 or 9000? Sisal or plastic?

Matt you might want to throw some wedges back in the chamber to slow the hay down and tighten up your bales!

/ speed of an inline square baler? #4  
Marshall
Get Briden 9600 and your twin issues will go away. Your bale count is pretty good. I have the Hesston 4550 - smaller version of yours and running it with a 26.5 PTO HP Bobcat CT 235 compact tractor, and I can hit right at 200 and hour, but I need to go slow so as not to overload. I tried some Tightan brand twine and had the same issues and remembered posts that these balers are vary particular to the twine diet. The Briden 9600 solved my similar problem. I also bale at 36" 50# to 60# size with no issues

/ speed of an inline square baler? #5  
I'm a newly purchased Hesston 4550 owner but haven't taken delivery of it yet. I'm reading every bit of material that has 4550 in it. I won't be able to see the fruits of my purchase until next year and it's killing me. I needed maneuverability and being able to transport down the highway. There appears to be a need for someone to do small baling jobs in my area. Now if these people feel like paying for the small job with a move in fee I'll find out. Any how good luck with your Hesston 4550. bjr

/ speed of an inline square baler? #6  
We have a Hesston 4590 and in good hay 250 bales an hour will be no problem. We usually shoot for 12-15 plunger strokes per bale. Our hay racks hold 170 bales and one day with three guys stacking we were loading a rack every 20-25 minutes.

/ speed of an inline square baler?
Baled my last field today and put the square baler in it. I rolled the ends so I would have an easy go of it when turning the square baler. I rolled 650 square bales in 2.5 hours. That is approximately 260 bales per hour. The hay was pretty good, as far as consistant windrows, but at times it got thin. I ran the tractor, witch is a John Deere 4030 in A3, or A4 at 2000 rpms. I busted open 6 bales. One side of the bale didnt get wrapped with the twine and / or tied.

I was pretty happy with its performance today.

By the way, 9000 plastic is the twine that my local supply store has.

Marshall

/ speed of an inline square baler? #8  
You are using the wrong BALER, SELL the CASE and go with the BEST GO NEW HOLLAND!!!! If you don't think so try one the same size as the case and see for your-self. If still in doubt just ask onelonelyfarmer...

/ speed of an inline square baler? #9  
It's simple to work out your bales per hour, you just multiple the plunger strokes per minute by 60 then divide the answer by 12 to 15, the 12 to 15 represents the slices in the bale.
Like my BC5070 does 93 strokes per min so to work out bales per hour is; 93×60÷12=465
And I do agree with mkreitler!! New Holland small square balers are the bes

/ speed of an inline square baler? #10  
I have nothing to add, but welcome aboard to all!
We need to keep this forum going!