Sold on Seafoam

/ Sold on Seafoam #51  
Several years ago, I began to have problems with my largest Stihil Chain saw, an MS 460. The saw would be hard to start, and after it caught, it then would run roughly. I called the dealership from whom I had purchased the saw to make an appointment for service. The fellow there with whom I spoke suggested that, before I brought the saw in for service, I try draining the fuel tank,replacing the contents with Stihl Moto-Mix (pre-mixed Stihel two-stroke lubricant plus engineered fuel), then pulling the starter rope a few times with the choke on, then letting the chain saw sit overnight indoors (where the temperature would be higher), and then that I try starting the saw again the next morning. It worked like a charm. I got sold on Stihl Moto-Mix.

During any extended working session, I tend to use use 91 or 93 octane E10 fuel with an ethanol stabilizer added to it, along with Amsoil or Stihl lubricant. However, since the experience described above, if I expect that the saw is going to be sitting around for a while before I next use it, I will run the saw until the tank is empty and the saw dies. I will then fill the tank with Stihl Moto-Mix, and finally I will start and run the saw for 10 to 15 seconds so that Moto-Mix stays in the innards of the carburetor. Then I will turn off the saw and put it in its carrying case.

/ Sold on Seafoam #52  
I'm kinda astonished to hear all these praises of SeaFoam. Admittedly never used it in gas or oil like you guys have, but years ago I tried the "carbon soak test" on some valves and an injector from an old Peugeot 504 diesel engine that had caked on carbon, as a test, as there were claims you could "watch the carbon float off".

Well, nothing "floated off". Left it over night and still no effect I could see. Still hard as it was and had to scrape to get any off. I put it aside and never tried anything else with it. Oh, I lied. This was AFTER I had tried the "intake cleaning" procedure on a 2.2 gas Camry that was supposed to "fog the neighborhood" with removed gunk and I got nothing. Nothing at all.

Maybe I got a bum can, but, I just wrote it off.

/ Sold on Seafoam #53  
That 10% ethanol fuel is pretty much all we can get around here. It’s ok for running but disastrous for sitting, especially in small engines because it absorbs water when the system is the vented type. Rusted out tanks, corroded carburetors and fuel pumps. Just another government screwup. We have used Seafoam for carbon reduction for years in my shop. Another good cleaning product I use in the shop is Evinrude-Johnson engine tuner PN 775625.
If you are mixing lager amounts of two stroke fuel a Ratio-Rite is handy.

/ Sold on Seafoam #54  
That 10% ethanol fuel . . . Just another government screwup. . ..
Yeah, I agree. Ethanol was a solution looking for a problem.

Never would have flown but for the persistent lobbying (and donations?) of Industry PAC's and/or "lobbyists".

Funny that, in effect, corn became the only "raw stock" for ethanol production at those volumes.

The thing about "Government" . . . it's full of people. As always, "follow the money".

/ Sold on Seafoam #55  
Small engine mechanic told me the same thing when I bought my current saw. He suggested mixing 40:1 instead, which is what I've been doing ever since. No issues.
Yep. I have always added an extra splash of oil to the mix. At worst it is a bit harder to start.

/ Sold on Seafoam #56  
At 50-1, any leaning out of the mixture can and will cause ring and piston issues. 50-1 is the ragged edge of destruction. I'm always very careful when I mix up a jug. I use a quart measuring tumbler and carefully mix by adding the 2 stroke oil ahead of time and shake well.
Gas first. Then the oil. Or you better be shaking a long time.

/ Sold on Seafoam #57  
I started using seafoam 20 years ago when I had the same problem. Hard start, no idle etc. I have since put about 4oz. in every 5 gal of gas. I owned an auto parts store (until I retired) and sold seafoam for years. A customer I sold a can to was complaining about the price and worried about the cash if if didn't work. I told him to bring me back the empty can, and I would refund his money. About 3 hours later I see him coming around the corner and thought, OK here we go. He bought 2 more cans.

/ Sold on Seafoam #58  
If you read the directions for seafoam. It can be used in the oil, fuel or intake. I run a handyman business, work on alot of small engines, tractor, stationary equipment, and i also work in a bus garage. Seafoam is a go to for many things, iso-heat uses alcohol to remove water and keep lines from freezing. Seafoam will stabilize, remove water, lubricate, soften carbon, remove gum and residue. I use it alot to keep systems clean. Carb problem, fill the 4 stroke carb full let sit over night. Fill the tank with fresh gas, fixes alot of issues. 2 stroke, mixe the oil with seafoam as gas. Or add seafoam to gas then mix the oil in.
Using it on carbon, never used seafoam on engine parts removed. Best way and it can tell how bad an engine is, start the engine and get it hot. Once its hot spray or pour seafoam into the intake. Just a little till the engine rpm change, then increase till the engine dies. Or if it doesn't, it shut off, here is the big key you have to wait till the engine has cooled. Restart the engine it can be hard to start with the amount in there but as soon as it starts rev it to the middle of the throttle and hold till all clears. I have done this and had alittle visible exhaust, to a 2 block smoke screen. Used this method on a friend's toyota 4 banger that could barely climb a hill. It had to be done every month but kept that engine working for 3 years and commuting to work till she had the money to buy a new car.
Its not a cure all, but can fix a problem or be used to maintain. I used it to fix a sludged lifter too, but be careful we put it in the oil and had to change the oil and filter 3 times. It loosened up so much crude but we planned for it. I have also used atf in oil, just depends on whats going wring. I use it too for starting fluid in diesel and gas engines. Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and cleaner works well too, in Wyoming and -40 temps we used large amounts of lucas as line antifreeze, water remover. Only thing i found to work below -20 and it was a trucker buddy told me about that. I have had more than a few customers amazed how seafoam works but i always tell them its tool not a solution. And we need to fix the problem, my son has started a small engine service and repair. His go to is seafoam to see if it is worth fixing, then there is the rack of predator engines if not. And we use seafoam by the case and he has installed 22 predator engines.
On another not i have a gmc 2500 hd which throughs a cel code for the o2 sensor, this is a modified engine purchased that way. It was a gm crate motor installed by a mechanic and always would intermittently cel on. Started using seafoam every month and no code mechanic checked it out and everything and cant believe it 1 year and still no cel. He cant explain it!!

/ Sold on Seafoam #59  
I have been using Seafoam for years. It is just another tool for me. If I am having fuel related problems, I try seafoam first. If that don't fix it then I break out the tools. I did mix 1oz per gallon of seafoam with all my small engine gas but later switch to non-ethanol witch seems to have taken care of most of my fuel related problems.

/ Sold on Seafoam #60  
i hae been using a seafoam homebrew for a few years now.seems to do the trick.been using the naptha camp fuel rather then the napatha that you buy in the paint store.cheap and effective.