Sold on Seafoam

/ Sold on Seafoam #71  
WOW!

What a hot topic!
I'm amazed to see so many infrequent posters comment on Seafoam.

/ Sold on Seafoam #72  
Post removed and re-posted below.........oops!

Last edited:
   / Sold on Seafoam #73  
On my 2003 Dodge 2500 5.9L I add a cap
full of seafoam to the oil

willy

/ Sold on Seafoam #74  
EVERY MOTORCYCLE AND MARINE ENGINE MECHANIC I HAVE EVER TALKED TO HAS STATED IT IS IMPERATIVE TO USE ETHANOL FREE FUEL TO AVOID EXPENSIVE FREQUENT CARB CLEANING/REBUILD. ETHANOL ALSO DETERIORATES THE RUBBER FUEL LINES AND SEALS OVER TIME. I ALSO USE SEAFOAM PERIODICALLY AS A TUNEUP ON 4 STROKE 4 WHEELERS, 2 STROKE OUTBOARDS, ALL 3 4WD VEHICLES (H3, XJ CHEROKEE, 2000 SILVERADO)
Well not all of them. I was a boat machanic for 30 years and ran a boat dealership with Mercury, Yamaha, and Force engines. I never once had a factory engineer or dealer rep state that you should run non ethanol gas in their engines. Now I have been out of the business for 12 years and maybe something has changed. I know that Mercury Marine took the fuel companies to court about it but they lost the case. The fuel industry basically told them this is how it's going to be so build your engines to run on what we supply. Yes it would turn fuel pump diaphragms carb gaskets and fuel lines to mush when it first came out. After a few years they finally came up with a rubber product that ethanol wouldn't bother and after that there were very few if any problems that could be related to ethonal.
There is no reason that either Mercury nor Yamaha should not run 10 years without fuel related issues and by then it is past time for a fuel system cleanup anyway. The biggest problem with all marine engines is water in the fuel and folks that don't run Mercury Premium Plus 2 cycle oil, or their 4 stroke oil for Mercursier. Some of the higher preformance Mercruiser engines might like a little higher octane than the suggested Regular but they will run fine on unleaded ethanol. When you get to the race engines they don't use gas anyway they use mostly race fuel.
I too run a fuel treatment but I don't use Seafoam I use that blue stuff, Startron enzyme concentrate fuel system cleaner. Seafoam is a good cleaner for fuel or engine cleaner but it don't hold a candle to that blue stuff.

Last edited:
   / Sold on Seafoam #75  
My Stihl chainsaw started having trouble idling. Then it wouldn't idle at all. And it would be hard to start when the engine died if I let the RPM drop. If I let the saw sit for 10 or 15 minutes it would start fairly easily again but I would need to get the RPM up right away or it would die. I was gonna take the carb off and clean it out but instead decided to try using some Seafoam first to see if it would solve the problem. I poured a little into the gas tank and shook it up. The saw was cold and started right up as usual. Then it started to die as usual so I got on the throttle and ran the saw at a higher RPM so it wouldn't die. After about 30 seconds I released the throttle and the saw idled fine. The next day I used the saw and not only does it idle fine it revs higher and starts on the first pull, which it used to do but hadn't for a while. Now I need to put some Seafoam in the gas can too. I really didn't expect the stuff to work and especially didn't expect it to work so quickly. The stuff is really impressive.
Eric
My Stihl saw was exhibiting the same symptoms after years of flawless operation. It would drive me crazy trying to keep it going. Long story short, it was a cracked fuel pickup tube in the tank that was causing the intermittent issue. It wasn't easy to replace with my big fingers, but it went back to running like champ after that.

/ Sold on Seafoam #76  
50:1 will cause more carbon buildup than 40:1 will.
No, poor quality oil is the reason for carbon.

saber.jpg

Last edited:
   / Sold on Seafoam #77  
No, poor quality oil is the reason for carbon.

saber.jpg

I used to run saber. Now I run dominator, it's even cleaner. The cleanest oil I have ever seen is echo red armor. It will even clean the deposits left by that ultra crap. It just got so expensive.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / Sold on Seafoam #78  
My Stihl chainsaw started having trouble idling. Then it wouldn't idle at all. And it would be hard to start when the engine died if I let the RPM drop. If I let the saw sit for 10 or 15 minutes it would start fairly easily again but I would need to get the RPM up right away or it would die. I was gonna take the carb off and clean it out but instead decided to try using some Seafoam first to see if it would solve the problem. I poured a little into the gas tank and shook it up. The saw was cold and started right up as usual. Then it started to die as usual so I got on the throttle and ran the saw at a higher RPM so it wouldn't die. After about 30 seconds I released the throttle and the saw idled fine. The next day I used the saw and not only does it idle fine it revs higher and starts on the first pull, which it used to do but hadn't for a while. Now I need to put some Seafoam in the gas can too. I really didn't expect the stuff to work and especially didn't expect it to work so quickly. The stuff is really impressive.
Eric
I drive a duramax that started to smoke. Was advised to add a can of Seafoam to a full tank twice. Smoking problem cured, was due to dirty injectors. The Dealer advised me to get the injectors changed , about $5000. Can of Seafoam? $9.00! I now add it about every 6 months. I'm sold on it, and I don't work for Seafoam.