Sold on Seafoam

/ Sold on Seafoam #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
My Stihl chainsaw started having trouble idling. Then it wouldn't idle at all. And it would be hard to start when the engine died if I let the RPM drop. If I let the saw sit for 10 or 15 minutes it would start fairly easily again but I would need to get the RPM up right away or it would die. I was gonna take the carb off and clean it out but instead decided to try using some Seafoam first to see if it would solve the problem. I poured a little into the gas tank and shook it up. The saw was cold and started right up as usual. Then it started to die as usual so I got on the throttle and ran the saw at a higher RPM so it wouldn't die. After about 30 seconds I released the throttle and the saw idled fine. The next day I used the saw and not only does it idle fine it revs higher and starts on the first pull, which it used to do but hadn't for a while. Now I need to put some Seafoam in the gas can too. I really didn't expect the stuff to work and especially didn't expect it to work so quickly. The stuff is really impressive.
Eric

/ Sold on Seafoam #2  
it is and it isn't. I use it as an intake cleaner on my cars and gas trucks, post MAF sensor. Cleans them right out. I'd be l leery about in a saw because you could upset the oil to gas ratio. Not much fuel in the tank. and any good oil like Stihl will have stabilizer in it anyway.

/ Sold on Seafoam #3  
I could see it replacing part of the gas in a two stroke mix but not poured into the tank. I've used it in a couple four stroke engines with good results. If I can get an engine to start so it can pull some of the Sea Foam I can then kill the engine and let it sit overnight. It may be fine the next day or I may need to make two or three start up shut down cycles over the next couple of days but it does seem to restore performance.

/ Sold on Seafoam #4  
At 50-1, any leaning out of the mixture can and will cause ring and piston issues. 50-1 is the ragged edge of destruction. I'm always very careful when I mix up a jug. I use a quart measuring tumbler and carefully mix by adding the 2 stroke oil ahead of time and shake well.

/ Sold on Seafoam #5  
If you're using Stihl 50:1 premix oil, then 50:1 is the limit. I run my Stihl saws at 75:1 with Amsoil 2-stroke oil, and have never had a lubrication issue after many hundreds of hours. I agree though that there should be the proper mix of gas/Sea Foam/Stabilizer/Whatever to oil so you don't run lean.

/ Sold on Seafoam #6  
At 50-1, any leaning out of the mixture can and will cause ring and piston issues. 50-1 is the ragged edge of destruction. I'm always very careful when I mix up a jug. I use a quart measuring tumbler and carefully mix by adding the 2 stroke oil ahead of time and shake well.
Small engine mechanic told me the same thing when I bought my current saw. He suggested mixing 40:1 instead, which is what I've been doing ever since. No issues.

/ Sold on Seafoam #7  
Sea Foam has saved me from several carburetor removals and tear downs. Now using it in the Isuzu generator driver's tank. Fuel the tractor from that tank, too.

/ Sold on Seafoam
I could see it replacing part of the gas in a two stroke mix but not poured into the tank. I've used it in a couple four stroke engines with good results. If I can get an engine to start so it can pull some of the Sea Foam I can then kill the engine and let it sit overnight. It may be fine the next day or I may need to make two or three start up shut down cycles over the next couple of days but it does seem to restore performance.
Yeah, I thought about that. I poured in a capful and so wasn't worried. I used 4 tankfulls of gas today. Just got in from sawing up some of the 24 trees that blew down about a month ago. Saw performed great. Which is good because there are at least 6 more trees to go.
Eric

/ Sold on Seafoam #9  
If I have a jug issue. it usually goes in the heated ultrasonic cleaner with Chen Tool in it anyways.