Snow pusher for a gravel driveway

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #31  
I can see where this would work in some areas where the ground is soft but the fairly sharp edge of the angle iron would still push loose surface gravel. A rounded edge with a fairly large radius would tend to ride up over the surface gravel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the angle iron idea. If it works, go for it. I tried it a few years back on my Woods RM72 snow blower with little success due to the loose gravel surfaces I have. The iron pipe was better but not perfect. It might be different with the heavier FEL plow, I may try it when it comes time to replace the worn pipe. It's certainly easier to bolt on a piece of angle iron than split a piece of pipe to fit over the cutting edge.
Angle of attack may make a difference.
Keep the plow frame as level as possible.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #32  
I used to use just a back blade but had trouble with deep snow and drifts. Now I use both a SSQA snow blade on the loader and a back blade with a strip of horse stall mat on the edge. On a gravel driveway it is very difficult to keep a SSAQ blade on a tractor loader from digging into the gravel. Putting the loader in float does not work as there is just too much weight transferred to the blade skids. I added a float valve to the curl cyinders and that works much better. I have the skid pads set pretty high so it leaves some snow on the driveway. The front blade easily pushes aside the deep snow and drifts. The back blade with the mat on the edge does a nice clean up of what the front blade leaves. I use both in one pass.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway
Going to pick up a ZMI 960 snow pusher tomorrow. I was told they have lots of adjustment for gravel. $1300.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #34  
Cool, good luck. I'm looking forward to your pictures of gravel piles in your yard come april. :)

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #35  
Well, ease of repair won out. Grabbed a couple pieces of one size bigger pipe, sliced with the plasma and welded over the existing worn out pipe. That will give a couple more years use.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #36  
96" hydraulic angle blade on the front. The skid shoes do a good job of not letting it scape gravel...if I have the tilt, right.

Attachments

• 141823340_3578744638913990_6028828681850910458_n.jpg
    141823340_3578744638913990_6028828681850910458_n.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
   / Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #37  
96" hydraulic angle blade on the front. The skid shoes do a good job of not letting it scape gravel...if I have the tilt, right.
For me, the first snow usually falls before the ground is frozen and the shoes just dig trenches while the blade pushes rocks.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #39  
I have a buddy who has one of those, @forgeblast, and he swears by it. Funny thing is he has all the equipment in the world, including two large commercial backhoes, but he says he prefers this thing for quickly clearing the driveway in the morning before work.

Seems it would be difficult to do a thorough job without a backup camera, but those are becoming nearly-ubiquitous these days. In fact I think there's a federal law or mandate requiring them on new vehicles, going into effect next year.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #40  
I have a buddy who has one of those, @forgeblast, and he swears by it. Funny thing is he has all the equipment in the world, including two large commercial backhoes, but he says he prefers this thing for quickly clearing the driveway in the morning before work.

Seems it would be difficult to do a thorough job without a backup camera, but those are becoming nearly-ubiquitous these days. In fact I think there's a federal law or mandate requiring them on new vehicles, going into effect next year.
My private dirt road off a gravel road means my wifes back up camera is ALWAYS so dirty it's useless.