Snow pusher for a gravel driveway

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #21  
I plow my driveway so my 4wd pickup with studded snow tires can make it up and get me home.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #22  
The PVC pipe on the FEL cutting edge sounds like a good idea and I suppose it would work for short gravel drives. I tried it on my Landpride 96" FEL plow to do my 1.25 mile gravel road and it wore through & fell off halfway through the first pass. I'm going to try steel pipe this winter.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #23  
I'm seriously looking at me steel pipe on my blade. Worn more than half way through on the bottom. Hard face weld or just replace. Got to make up my mind, snow's a comin'

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #24  
This works best for my snow situation. We have a winter storm warning with the possibility for up to 12 inches tonight and Monday.
IMG_5101 (2).JPG
IMG_4987 (2).JPG
IMG_4988 (2).JPG

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #25  
The PVC pipe on the FEL cutting edge sounds like a good idea and I suppose it would work for short gravel drives. I tried it on my Landpride 96" FEL plow to do my 1.25 mile gravel road and it wore through & fell off halfway through the first pass. I'm going to try steel pipe this winter.
I tried pipe & found that a 3x3 piece of angle iron bolts to the plow cutting edge or in place of the cutting edge & works BETTER then pipe.
I can plow my 1/4 mile gravel drive & even paths over my pasture with NO damage .
Used bed frame rails on the smaller atv plow and it worked too.

Attachments

• 20201019_124550.jpg
    20201019_124550.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 589

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #26  
I tried pipe & found that a 3x3 piece of angle iron bolts to the plow cutting edge or in place of the cutting edge & works BETTER then pipe.
I can plow my 1/4 mile gravel drive & even paths over my pasture with NO damage .
Used bed frame rails on the smaller atv plow and it worked too.

Attachments

• 20201019_124550.jpg
    20201019_124550.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 589
Interesting.

A pipe has a round shape that rides up over the gravel. The square "edge" of the angle iron doesn't appear to be that much different than the cutting edge itself.

It works for you so that's all that matters.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #27  
Interesting.

A pipe has a round shape that rides up over the gravel. The square "edge" of the angle iron doesn't appear to be that much different than the cutting edge itself.

It works for you so that's all that matters.
The flat bottom of the angle iron prevents the blade from digging in and seems to do better at moving the snow.

BTW... not an original idea, I got it from here years ago.

Last edited:
   / Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #29  
Lots of good ideas
At the beginning of the season, before the ground is frozen, I pull the cutting edge off & put the angle iron on using the same holes & bolts.
Once it freezes, back to bare cutting edge.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #30  
The flat bottom of the angle iron prevents the blade from digging in and seems to do better at moving the snow.

BTW... not an original idea, I got it from here years ago.
I can see where this would work in some areas where the ground is soft but the fairly sharp edge of the angle iron would still push loose surface gravel. A rounded edge with a fairly large radius would tend to ride up over the surface gravel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the angle iron idea. If it works, go for it. I tried it a few years back on my Woods RM72 snow blower with little success due to the loose gravel surfaces I have. The iron pipe was better but not perfect. It might be different with the heavier FEL plow, I may try it when it comes time to replace the worn pipe. It's certainly easier to bolt on a piece of angle iron than split a piece of pipe to fit over the cutting edge.