Snow pusher for a gravel driveway

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #1  

tiogajoe

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610hst
I'm thinking of getting a 5 foot snow pusher. I have a gravel drive that is about 600 feet long. I'm thinking it might work better than my bucket and turf tammers as far as being more efficient time wise? My bucket always seems to pack up with snow. Any thoughts?

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #2  
The Tar River CSP60 - compact snow blade is really nice, (made in China but its built like a tank) weighs 500 lbs, has 5 angle adjustments. (optional hydraulic)
so if you like the blade style rather than the "Pusher style" is great, the snow pushers have the sides on them which might be your fist pick,
but with 600 foot I'd think the angle blade would be nice,

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #3  
When the pusher fills up the snow starts coming over the top, you’ll have to angle off to the side and empty. Do you have room to do that? I have a pusher and the backdrag kit and like it but I only have hard surface clients so I can’t answer on gravel. It has no parts to break which is nice.

Here’s a link to mine in action last winter.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #4  
A few years back, I tried using a 7' pusher on my 450' gravel drive. It worked fine for snow but it was too difficult to keep from pushing gravel into piles at the end of the drive. I went back to using an 8' FEL plow. Yes, it pushes gravel too but it makes a wind row on the berm and it's easier to rake back into place.

Every situation is different though. For tight places with no room for banks, a pusher may be a better choice.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #5  
Don't under-estimate a rear blade that can swing and angle.
20150302_130653.jpg

20160101_210425.jpg

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #6  
Order of preference for clearing snow
5. hand shovel
4. tractor bucket
3. pusher blade on tractor
2. snowblower
1. move to a warmer climate

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway
My drive is not straight. The more I think about it a FEL plow might be better?

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #8  
Almost anything is better than trying to move snow with a bucket. For early season before the snow really starts to pile up here, I'm also a fan of backblades. I could even get plow shoe attachments for mine. Works every bit as good as the 7 foot hydraulic plow I have on my jeep. Actually better, the tractor is heavier. Just have to be a little strategic to minimize hopping on and off to rotate the blade as needed.

50668701436_521d071f2c_b.jpg

But I don't have very many places to push snow on my driveway so I might be able to use the backblade a couple times each season before it's time to get out the blower.

Never used an actual pusher, but I think I'd prefer an angled blade.

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway #9  
You live in PA.... loads of freeze/thaw cycles. Meaning the ground will be mushy underneath your snow a lot.

A snow pusher box is going to take all of your gravel and leave it in piles wherever you stop pushing.

Backblade works fine for my 1000' gravel driveway. I swing it around to backwards when the gravel is soft and loose under the snow. Eventually I'd rather have an SSQA front blade on my loader, but it's not an urgent need when we only get 40-60" of snow annually and I only have to plow 4 or 5 times. If I do get a front blade, it will need to have some big skid shoes on it to prevent it from tossing all my loose gravel.

Does your 2610 have third function hydraulics?

/ Snow pusher for a gravel driveway
You live in PA.... loads of freeze/thaw cycles. Meaning the ground will be mushy underneath your snow a lot.

A snow pusher box is going to take all of your gravel and leave it in piles wherever you stop pushing.

Backblade works fine for my 1000' gravel driveway. I swing it around to backwards when the gravel is soft and loose under the snow. Eventually I'd rather have an SSQA front blade on my loader, but it's not an urgent need when we only get 40-60" of snow annually and I only have to plow 4 or 5 times. If I do get a front blade, it will need to have some big skid shoes on it to prevent it from tossing all my loose gravel.

Does your 2610 have third function hydraulics?
I did have a rear blade but sold it last year. Was ok for plowing but mostly used it around the house when I built. I do have hydraulics to my bucket for my grapple.