Snow plow ? Beginner

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #31  
Another problem with loader mounted plows, or most any plow for that matter unless there is rotational provisions, is that they are not set up so that the plow frame is parallel to the road surface. When the plow is straight it looks good but when it is angled one corner is lifted or tries to lift and all or most of the weight is transferred to the other corner which can make it dig in and plow lousy.

gg

Last edited:
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #32  
I have a Meyers home plow that connects to the 2 inch front receiver on my rtv. I use it mainly on light snow on my 1200 ft lane and as a backup for the tractor and blower. It takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes to clear the lane instead of the hour using the blower driving backwards. I plan to put a front receiver on my f150 for it, but that’s a low priority project.

Last edited:
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #33  
Another problem with loader mounted plows, or most any plow for that matter unless there is rotational provisions, is that they are not set up so that the plow frame is parallel to the road surface. When the plow is straight it looks good but when it is angled one corner is lifted or tries to lift and all or most of the weight is transferred to the other corner which can make it dig in and plow lousy.

gg
I used a pair of magnets with whiskers made from zip ties. The one on the left is set to align with the top fin of the grille guard and sets the loader arm height. The one on the right is at the tip of the level indicator rod when the QA is at the correct angle.

The QA roll angle is set and forget for the most part. It doesn't require much adjustment. Occasionally when piling up snow I do rotate it a bit. Up and down for the arms becomes second nature after a bit of operating.

The picture of the plow is a good example of a mounting design based on Gordon Gould's. The tape measure is not for doing setup. It was placed there to answer a question another poster asked concerning clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_6627.JPG
    IMG_6627.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6624 Left.JPG
    IMG_6624 Left.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6624 Right.JPG
    IMG_6624 Right.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 118
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #34  
I used a pair of magnets with whiskers made from zip ties. The one on the left is set to align with the top fin of the grille guard and sets the loader arm height. The one on the right is at the tip of the level indicator rod when the QA is at the correct angle.

The QA roll angle is set and forget for the most part. It doesn't require much adjustment. Occasionally when piling up snow I do rotate it a bit. Up and down for the arms becomes second nature after a bit of operating.

The picture of the plow is a good example of a mounting design based on Gordon Gould's. The tape measure is not for doing setup. It was placed there to answer a question another poster asked concerning clearance.

I like the magnet and zip tie gauge. I'm going to add one to my ssqa blade. Currently eyeballing during use, and a magnetic level on the frame for the initial setting.

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #35  
Though I've had tractors most of my life, I've never had or used a snow plow. I'd like to get a plow for my L3301 quick attach but also would like to use it on my pickup occasionally swapping back and forth rather easily.
Is there an adaptor or way to do this without a bunch of bolting/unbolting to move it from one to the other?

Forgive me if this is absurdly simple. As I said. I've never had a snow plow but moving to Vermont and getting a huge circular driveway paved this year has my 60 year old back and push behind snow blower cringing as winter approaches.

Thank you,
Lenny
My thoughts & experience:

Many years ago, I made an adapter by welding an old pickup plow frame to a SSQA plate. I used it to swap my Western 90" plow between several tractors & pickups over the years. Now, there are adapters available on the market such as this one:

I found the 90" truck plow to be a bit awkward to use on my smaller B series Kubota's but not much of a problem for the newer L's I've owned. It took some practice and a few tricks but it got the job done. Getting on and off the tractor to manually adjust the blade angle was a real pain. Adding a 3rd function valve was a welcome improvement to hydraulically angle the blade.

When I was younger, I didn't mind being out in the weather plowing on an open station tractor. Maneuvering with the tractor was much easier than the pickup. I could easily pile snow and push the banks back using the blade on the FEL.

As I got older, I became less tolerant of the cold and began using the pickup most of the time. As the price of pickups increased, I became reluctant to beat up an expensive vehicle by plowing with it so I went back to using the tractor. I suppose I could have kept an old truck around just for plowing but the maintenance & storage of another vehicle was a problem.

Eventually, I bit the bullet and bought a cabbed tractor with an SSQA FEL plow. For me, at my age, it has proved to be the ideal solution. Plowing with heat and mowing with A/C just can't be beat!

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #36  
Though I've had tractors most of my life, I've never had or used a snow plow. I'd like to get a plow for my L3301 quick attach but also would like to use it on my pickup occasionally swapping back and forth rather easily.
Is there an adaptor or way to do this without a bunch of bolting/unbolting to move it from one to the other?

Forgive me if this is absurdly simple. As I said. I've never had a snow plow but moving to Vermont and getting a huge circular driveway paved this year has my 60 year old back and push behind snow blower cringing as winter approaches.

Thank you,
Lenny

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #37  

Thank you,
Lenny
So I live in northern Michigan and have a 1/4 mile driveway we can get a lot of snow do your self a favor and buy a reverse snowblower for the rear of the tractor that way your not backing up and driving into the snow your blowing and you don’t get any banks or piles to deal with it’s the best money you ever spent

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #38  

Thank you,
Lenny

Attachments

• E6C14A4F-E01A-4019-A465-302D1B78934B.jpeg
    E6C14A4F-E01A-4019-A465-302D1B78934B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #39  
i use a plow on my FEL and a rear blower....leelanau county mich which gets a **** ton of snow......dont think u will be able to use the same plow on both truck and tractor.....i cut my old truck plow down so could put it on tractor....have to be careful when plowing with the plow on FEL...can bend the loader......if it was me...i would keep the plow on the truck...get a blower for the tractor.....

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #40  

Thank you,
Lenny

Hydraulic Snow Plow Pinnacle Series, from homestead implements. I also use a Woods rear

snowblower

. It may cost you 5-6 grand for both, but the snow doesn't give me any problems, except getting up and out of bed to clear it. I do have a couple long driveways with open hayfields that build up the snow drifts. Mounted on a Kioti CK 3500. Works for me. Ford F-350 superduty with a plow stays parked unless I go on the road. All depends on what your gonna use it for and how much you can spend.