Snow Chain Recommendation

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I now have a CUT with industrial tires which I am aware provide lousy traction in the snow.

I plan on installing chains to the front wheels only so I can confidently plow my sloped driveway.

What do you recommend as an economical solution?

TIA

Yooper Dave

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 202
  • clay front tire.jpeg
    clay front tire.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 199
   / Snow Chain Recommendation #4  
Economical solution. 2 link ladder, 3/8" twisted cross links. Paid $260/pair July 2021. Had to buy a much larger set and remove 3 links from the cross links to fit.
All the 2 link ladder for my tire size were for garden tractors. Very light weight.
If I had to do it again, (economical), I would go with 5/16" cross links.
Ride is a bit rough. I'm plowing gravel surfaces and blowing trails in woods. No road travel. Will stall the tractor before the tires spin.
Andrew.
A0B1AD4A-646E-4F6B-B093-3DDB1D1116DA.jpeg

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #5  

I have the MPC version. They where about 25% more than cheap ladder chains yet not as much as the tallons

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #6  
What surface is your driveway? That will help guide the best answer.

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #7  
Ice cleats that don't slip between tractor lugs.

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #8  
I bought used (but brand new) tractor-trailer chains (kijiji / craiglist) for cheap and fit them to my fronts. Absolutely awesome and inexpensive. I also made a pair for my F250. Having chains on the front of a diesel truck is pretty impressive.

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #9  
I've used chains on just the front tires of several Kubota tractors with great success. For the steep slopes I plow, I've found from experience that cleated ladder chains work best on my R4 tires. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap and can cause damage to hard surfaces like concrete floors and paved driveways. I use planks on the barn floor to prevent chipping the surface.

You may be able to save a few $$ by looking for a used set. They might be tough to find this time of year though.

With chains on the front only, it helps to have weight on the front end of the tractor. I use a FEL plow which I can partially raise to get the traction I need.

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #10  
I've used chains on just the front tires of several Kubota tractors with great success. For the steep slopes I plow, I've found from experience that cleated ladder chains work best on my R4 tires. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap and can cause damage to hard surfaces like concrete floors and paved driveways. I use planks on the barn floor to prevent chipping the surface.

You may be able to save a few $$ by looking for a used set. They might be tough to find this time of year though.

With chains on the front only, it helps to have weight on the front end of the tractor. I use a FEL plow which I can partially raise to get the traction I need.
Then you have never tried the Euro studded pattern style chains, calling ladder style chains to be working the best.
There is no comparison between ladder chains and studded Euro style that would find the ladder type better.