smoking tractor

/ smoking tractor #1  

Crown & Roots Farm

Tractor
1962 Ford 2000
Hi all,

1964 Ford 2000 tractor has smoke coming out of crank case breather. It starts as soon as I start it up and doesn't stop, tried running it for a few minutes to see if it would burn off but no luck. I have been using it for the past couple days no problem and today I noticed the smoke coming out of it. Oil looks good and at the right level. coolant is at the right level. The temperature gauge wasn't working when I got it a few years ago. Hoping its not overheating... Anyone have any thoughts on possible causes and fixes?

/ smoking tractor #2  
Are you sure it is smoke, and not an oil mist caused by blow by. At that age, your tractor's rings are probably pretty tired, and not sealing as they did when new.

/ smoking tractor #3  
My Ford 641, 1959, does it out the breather oil filler cap. Won't really notice it unless the sun hits it just right. Been doing it for years. Just blow by fumes I guess. Runs fine.
If you have a lot of visible smoke that may be something else. Did this just start recently?

/ smoking tractor
My Ford 641, 1959, does it out the breather oil filler cap. Won't really notice it unless the sun hits it just right. Been doing it for years. Just blow by fumes I guess. Runs fine.
If you have a lot of visible smoke that may be something else. Did this just start recently?
that's what I was thinking at first but I think I have a bit more smoke than it should if it was just a bit of blow by fumes. it just started yesterday, and hasn't rained here in a week or 2 so don't think it can be water in the oil. hoping its not coolant in the oil. going to try to let it sit for a day and check if somethings in the oil. been using it past week or so pretty hard plowing and disking

Attachments

• 7894.jpg
    7894.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 34
   / smoking tractor
Are you sure it is smoke, and not an oil mist caused by blow by. At that age, your tractor's rings are probably pretty tired, and not sealing as they did when new.
honestly its hard for me to tell what the difference would look like, seems like I'm getting more smoke/oil mist than I would if it just blow by. maybe you can tell by this picture?

Attachments

• 7894.jpg
    7894.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
   / smoking tractor #6  
Very foolish on your part not to have a working coolant temperature gage. How do you ascertain if the engine is overheating or not? If it was mine, that would have been the very first thing I would have fixed.

Just because it's old, don't mean that when overheated, things like blown head gaskets don't happen.