Small solar sysem for remote power

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am starting to research solar electricity for my tower stand. I don't need a huge system, just something that can charge my phone, possibly my laptop and run a small fan. Do you guys have any suggestions or warnings? Thanks in advance.

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #2  
I am not sure of your complete requirements. To charge a phone, a 12" square panel will charge in a couple of hours in bright sunlight. A laptop is a whole other story. Much higher power requirements. An efficient panel (top of the line) will generate about 15 watts/sq-ft. This is at noon on a perfectly clear day. So you can estimate the size you need vs. size.

paul

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #3  
May I ask a question on this thread? I received an email from someone claiming to have plans for a solar panel that he built from things from the local hardware store for much less then commercial panels. I considered it to be BS Can a solar panel be built from items from a hardware store? I do not want to hijack the thread just think maybe this can help.

/ Small solar sysem for remote power
I am not sure of your complete requirements. To charge a phone, a 12" square panel will charge in a couple of hours in bright sunlight. A laptop is a whole other story. Much higher power requirements. An efficient panel (top of the line) will generate about 15 watts/sq-ft. This is at noon on a perfectly clear day. So you can estimate the size you need vs. size.

paul

I doubt I would ever take the laptop because I can do just about everything from my phone anyway. So if I could get a simple system to charge my cell when needed and to run a small fan (to help keep the windows clear and circulate the heat) then I would be happy.

May I ask a question on this thread? I received an email from someone claiming to have plans for a solar panel that he built from things from the local hardware store for much less then commercial panels. I considered it to be BS Can a solar panel be built from items from a hardware store? I do not want to hijack the thread just think maybe this can help.

Don't worry about hijacking this thread. It is always fun to see where threads lead :D

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #6  

People are pretty loose with the usage of "solar panel". Maybe it was referring to a hot water or air panel. Those could be built from any decent hardware store.

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #7  
With all the theft problems around, you might want a small portable one that you can hang on the tower when you are there, and take out when you leave at the end of the day. Nothing worse that having your stand stolen, and the panel with it. If in a "secure area, then a small battery with the panel, to store energy to run the fan, and still run your phone off from on cloudy days.

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #8  
I would think about using natural circulation instead of a fan. A vent as high up as you can get it, and another one down low will give a strong natural air flow.

If you must have a fan, I have seen solar powered roof fans for a few hundred at Costco. Solar panel was maybe 14" x 14", possibly 16" x 16".

Solar cell phone chargers are commercially available. A quick look on Amazon finds prices between $25 and $140.

For a laptop, just buy an extra battery and turn down the screen brightness...

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #9  
I was looking into this two years ago, but never followed through. I found that you get what you pay for in solar panels. Same thing with a deep cell battery. My plan was to mount the panel to a car battery and wire a panel of cigarette lighters. I was thinking three sockets. One for my phone charger, and the other for a 12v coffee pot with one more open. I figured that if the solar panel charged up and kept the battery charged when I wasn't in there, I could draw down the battery when I was in there.

In the end, I bought a better phone that didn't go dead on my after an hour or two, and got a good thermos with enough coffee to last me the morning.

Too cold for a fan, but I do have two indoor rated propane heaters. Most of the time, one is plenty, but on those really cold mornings, I'll have both of them going!!!!

Did you find a comfortable seat? The one that I like the best is a folding, patio seat from Walmart with a cushion on it. I tried seat after seat everywhere I went and really liked that one!!!

If you're gonna build it, you might as well be comfortable in there!!!!

Eddie

EddieWalker said:
I was looking into this two years ago, but never followed through. I found that you get what you pay for in solar panels. Same thing with a deep cell battery. My plan was to mount the panel to a car battery and wire a panel of cigarette lighters. I was thinking three sockets. One for my phone charger, and the other for a 12v coffee pot with one more open. I figured that if the solar panel charged up and kept the battery charged when I wasn't in there, I could draw down the battery when I was in there.

In the end, I bought a better phone that didn't go dead on my after an hour or two, and got a good thermos with enough coffee to last me the morning.

Too cold for a fan, but I do have two indoor rated propane heaters. Most of the time, one is plenty, but on those really cold mornings, I'll have both of them going!!!!

Did you find a comfortable seat? The one that I like the best is a folding, patio seat from Walmart with a cushion on it. I tried seat after seat everywhere I went and really liked that one!!!

If you're gonna build it, you might as well be comfortable in there!!!!

Eddie

I use a leather office chair for a seat. Its great for getting the proper shooting position.

The fan is to help keep the main windows fog free.