Small solar sysem for remote power

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #11  
This depends on a lot of factors. You may want to look into a deep discharge 12v battery. Either leave a battery and a small solar panel at your location, so that the small panel keeps the battery charged for you or have your battery charging before you go hunting. This would mean carrying a battery which could be heavy. Depends on how much power you need and for how long.

Keith

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #12  
There are solar water heating panels which can be built from hardware store parts. A simple one is basically just pipe / plumbing parts pieced together to get the water to sit out in the sun and heat up. These were popular before electric solar panels became popular. You can also buy solar cells on ebay and build your own enclosure for the solar cells. Maybe they were talking about that. I guess if you really wanted to rig something up, you could buy a bunch of those solar yard lights at the hardware store and wire them all together to charge a big battery? Technically it's possible and they are available at the hardware store. So, sure. It could be done, not very practical.

I'm guessing they were talking about solar water heating though. If you don't have to worry about stuff freezing, these can be really simple.

Keith

/ Small solar sysem for remote power
KTurner said:
This depends on a lot of factors. You may want to look into a deep discharge 12v battery. Either leave a battery and a small solar panel at your location, so that the small panel keeps the battery charged for you or have your battery charging before you go hunting. This would mean carrying a battery which could be heavy. Depends on how much power you need and for how long.

Keith

I have thought of using a marine battery for this application and may go this route with a small solar charger. How well would a battery hold up to this application? Basically only getting used 1 month out of the year. Of course if I size it right I can always steal it if one of the batteries die in a tractor.

CurlyDave said:
I would think about using natural circulation instead of a fan. A vent as high up as you can get it, and another one down low will give a strong natural air flow.

If you must have a fan, I have seen solar powered roof fans for a few hundred at Costco. Solar panel was maybe 14" x 14", possibly 16" x 16".

Solar cell phone chargers are commercially available. A quick look on Amazon finds prices between $25 and $140.

For a laptop, just buy an extra battery and turn down the screen brightness...

The circulation issue is why I want a small fan. The tower is built solid and sealed up and insulated on all six sides so that it heats easily. The problem is that there is moisture in the air inside from the fact it isn't heated 24/7 so when I turn the heat on the windows fog up and start condensing making it hard to see out of them without constantly wiping them off. So I would like a small fan to just aim at the windows like the old trucks and busses use to have. Just something in the six inch size.

I've found small battery operated fans but I fear how long the d batteries will last in 0-30°f weather as the heater is only on while I'm in there.

Pete Judd said:
With all the theft problems around, you might want a small portable one that you can hang on the tower when you are there, and take out when you leave at the end of the day. Nothing worse that having your stand stolen, and the panel with it. If in a "secure area, then a small battery with the panel, to store energy to run the fan, and still run your phone off from on cloudy days.

I don't worry about theft too much. The tower has a deadbolt so someone would have to really come prepared to break in.

If I go the battery route it will be stored in a battery box inside the tower so its secured.

Here is my tower so you guys know what I'm talking about.

ForumRunner_20120915_193409.png

ForumRunner_20120915_193417.png

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #17  
And I just settle for a stump and not a flat one :confused3:

And I just settle for a stump and not a flat one :confused3:

I always wanted to build a few tower stands like this but what actually pushed me to start was when I broke my back. I do not do well sitting on stumps, standing for long periods of time or being cold. So in order to be able to continue to hunt I was going to need something better that would allow me to move as needed so that I don't start hurting. What I didn't forsee when I started thinking about building the tower was that it would make it easier for my daughter to go with me. She goes almost every day with me during hunting season (as long as she doesn't have school) and loves it. I have a recliner in there that she sits in and colors, plays her Nintendo DSi, looks through the binocs scanning for deer and just keeps me entertained. Oh yeah, she also eats all my food and drinks all my drinks. She loves hunting and it has been a blessing having the tower. So now I am finishing up this one and when finished I will start the next one. The tower is 7.5' off the ground, just enough to see the entire field and is 8x8 outside dimension which allows plenty of room for Avas recliner and my office chair, the propane fueled Mr. Heater on the wall and a 5 gallon bucket that is the tower toilet.

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #19  
I vote for a car/marine battery, a solar panel, and an inverter. Good to go. Get a battery that would work with your tractors and now you have a spare if needed. I think you are set.

/ Small solar sysem for remote power #20  
Robert, I am thinking the propane-fueled Mr Heater is the source of a lot of the moisture. Plus two people in a small, well-sealed room. You may need to bring air into, and exhaust air out of the tower to really improve the moisture condensation. You have to figure the glass in the windows is often below the dew point of the interior air.

Curly Dave's suggestion of a solar attic fan may be what you need.