small coffee pot suggestions

/ small coffee pot suggestions #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I'm looking for a small coffee pot to use in my tower stand. I don't drink coffee but would use it to heat water for hot chocolate for Ava and myself. I will have coffee out there for when my dad uses the tower so a hot water heater won't be ideal. My requirements is no larger than a 4 cup model that can either run off 12v or use less then 400 watts to run off my inverter. I want something reliable and not something that will cause me problems or headaches. Would only be used 1 month out of the year as well. Any suggestions from experienced users would be great.

/ small coffee pot suggestions #2  
   / small coffee pot suggestions #3  
We bought a 12v coffee maker at a yard sale years ago. Did not work worth a hoot. 400 watts off an inverter will not provide much heat, and I don't know how many 12v batts, you have, but heater elements will pull the voltage down quite quick. I would go with a small single burner propane stove.

/ small coffee pot suggestions #4  
Robert, I have a couple of "ideas" 1st is the obvious, good thermos. Thats what I take to the stand.

Here is a nifty coffee pot I picked up at Cabelas a few years back, made by Coleman, it is heated with a Coleman ,(or any other) small burner). Would also heat the blind up a bit, but you have to watch the O2. The one I have has been amazing, especially for remote areas, we even used it during a couple of power outages. I only run clean water to keep the scale down though.

Heres the one I have, Love it and only $40!!
Coleman Coffeemaker - Walmart.com

Here is one model, different than mine.
Coleman - 10-Cup Portable Propane Coffeemaker with Stainless Steel Carafe

/ small coffee pot suggestions #5  
The "Grump Patrol"(adult leaders) in our Scout Troop bought a couple of those. Work great. It is a glass carafe though. One got set on an icy table, and shattered(it was hot). Another was set on a table that was uneven and dew-y; slid off table and broke.

A couple people in the Troop have this brand of stove, in varying models. They work well. The cup/pot is insulated and easy to handle. Would be perfect for what you want to do.
Jetboil Zip Stove - Free Shipping at REI.com

Here is a nifty coffee pot I picked up at Cabelas a few years back, made by Coleman, it is heated with a Coleman ,(or any other) small burner). Would also heat the blind up a bit, but you have to watch the O2. The one I have has been amazing, especially for remote areas, we even used it during a couple of power outages. I only run clean water to keep the scale down though.

Heres the one I have, Love it and only $40!!
Coleman Coffeemaker - Walmart.com

/ small coffee pot suggestions #6  
before you buy a zip stove you could looke at making your own cat stove. Cat_Stove is one example.
If you search for just cat stove you will get a ton of hits. I made two when I was thinking about doing a lot of backpacking. I have not use it yet, but will once my little one gets older.
As for bsa, This would cover a few of the metalworking merit badge requirements. I wish I had known about this when I was on camp staff.

/ small coffee pot suggestions #7  
I'm looking for a small coffee pot to use in my tower stand. I don't drink coffee but would use it to heat water for hot chocolate for Ava and myself. I will have coffee out there for when my dad uses the tower so a hot water heater won't be ideal. My requirements is no larger than a 4 cup model that can either run off 12v or use less then 400 watts to run off my inverter. I want something reliable and not something that will cause me problems or headaches. Would only be used 1 month out of the year as well. Any suggestions from experienced users would be great.

For situations like, this I recommend taking a run down to your local truck stop. They have, and I kid you not, every dang thing you could imagine, in a 12-volt version. 12 volt coffee pot? No problem. 12 volt microwave oven? Yup. 12 volt pizza oven? Yup. 12 volt LCD television? You bet. You name it, they have a 12 volt version of it.

But like others have said, for quick and easy water heating, a flame source is probably best.

/ small coffee pot suggestions #8  
What's wrong with a vacuum bottle? If you are filling it with hot cocoa, you will need to buy a bottle brush to clean the inside. I have stainless bottles, one Aladdin and one Thermos, that will keep beverages hot for hours. Both of them are over 40 years old and still work fine.

/ small coffee pot suggestions
I carry a Thermos to work but for the tower I want to carry as little as possible everyday. I would keep some water there in a cooler so I would always have it.

The open flame isn't ideal either because there isn't a lot of room and I don't want Ava to accidentally burn herself. So ideally I would hook one up direct to the battery.

/ small coffee pot suggestions #10  
I carry a Thermos to work but for the tower I want to carry as little as possible everyday. I would keep some water there in a cooler so I would always have it.

The open flame isn't ideal either because there isn't a lot of room and I don't want Ava to accidentally burn herself. So ideally I would hook one up direct to the battery.

Robert, then I would go the route mentioned above, a truck-stop, or an online truckers supply. My brother and his FIL have 12vdc Coffee pots in their big trucks and they seem to work pretty darn good, not sure of the power draw though. I have used a 12 cup coffee pot on the job using a 750 watt inverter and it worked, but seemed a little slower than connected to the AC in the house (could have been that I was wanting a coffee fix and was freezin:D) A couple of the guys also used for the same reason your wanting, to heat water for HC.