skidding logs

/ skidding logs #51  
If this is something you plan to do more than once, build something like this log skidder. I made it for pulling logs out of the woods where my tractor can't get to (tight trees and steep hills). It works perfectly. Automatically picks the log off the ground when you move forward. If going down hill, it can't hit you because it will slowly come down and more friction on the ground will slow it to a stop. Stores easily as well. No weight for the tractor (or ATV, UTV, etc) to carry.

Your log arch looks like a heavier-duty version of the Norwood Skidmate.

Nice protection on the wheels.

/ skidding logs #52  
You could also drop a piece of round bar in your quick hitch as a stopper.

/ skidding logs #53  
In areas where I don't want to scrape up the trail or road, I have often lifted the back end of a log with the FEL, put a heavy-duty hand truck underneath and chained the handle to the log. Gives two wheels to run on rather than being drug by the butt and rutting the trail. The front end has been addressed enough in preceding posts.

/ skidding logs #54  
I do something similar when I drag Douglas Fir trees and it works great. I have also mounted a winch on the front of my tractor so that I can drag logs sideways to get them lined up for towing parallel to the path.

/ skidding logs #55  
I skidded out a bunch of them yesterday,

Resized-20230924-110131-S.jpg

SR

/ skidding logs #56  
I’m a low budget retired guy. Bought a good boom pole (County Line brand, I think) for the three point on my old (serial number comes back 1959) Massey 204. Had a small “Powerwinch” in the shop, so mounted it on the boom pole. These boxy things are mostly for loading boats, power in but release the friction to pull out, about 7/32” line. Added a fall block, so this little 3,000 lb. winch can pull more. Is this now the world’s smallest logging skidder? Maybe, but it works.

We’ve taken to bucking 16’ logs, hauling them home on my 16’ trailer, so we can separate any nice ones for the Alaskan sawmill, then cutting 16” wood and splitting (splitter right next to wood shed). We’re mostly doing cleanup on our woodlot, where we did selective logging in 2016, so taking what needs to be removed, instead of shopping for prime firewood (it all burns). This has worked fine, though it probably helps that I’m mostly following where feller/buncher and processor worked in 2016, not doing much to build skid roads.

Boom poles are handy, and this is much better than dragging in the dirt with a 4x4 truck.

/ skidding logs #57  
If you drag a log down a hill, what are the odds that it will try to buck up against the back of your tractor with nothing to stop it? I only mention this because the tractor tree winches seem to be designed so that the butt of the log is secured against the winch for towing.
Wouldn't the weight of the log dig the tires into the ground thus preventing loss of downhill traction - not to mention the weight of the tree "dragging" behind.

/ skidding logs #58  
I went down today to try this out on two logs I already had pulled out, one was 28” diameter on the small end and the other was 32”. Apparently my tongs aren’t big enough. They wouldn’t slip down far enough and just slid up when I tried to pick up. I’ll look for a larger set this week.

Get your chainsaw out and cut a couple of opposed notches to "waist down" those butts. Be generous so the tongs don't bind.

/ skidding logs
picked up a cheap set of 32" tongs and played with two logs we had drug up already. they were 28" and 31" and 22' long. one a red oak the other white oak. just putting the tongs on the hook for the quick hitch worked great. the upside U of the quick hitch and the draw bar keep anything from hitting the tractor. it was as simple as backing up and just setting the tongs on the log, lift up and drive off. the bigger log slightly lifted the front of the tractor when I took off with just an empty bucket but set down as soon as the log moved.

this weekend we are going to cut up some more trees and see how many we can get out. will probably put forks on one tractor and grapple on the other and put a 9' log up front and pull a 19' log. we will then load on a goose neck trailer and get them the rest of the way out of the woods. next step is to unload with an actual log loader that is about 2 miles away where we can bank them and haul to the mill on a log truck.

last time we did this 11 each 9' logs was very heavy on the trailer, not sure of the weight per gooseneck load.

I think by this time next year we will probably pick up an actual 3pt logging winch and see how that works.

/ skidding logs #60  
I think by this time next year we will probably pick up an actual 3pt logging winch and see how that works.
Oh you'll be in Tall Cotton when you do that! A logging winch is an amazing piece of equipment and a big time saver.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT