Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #51  
I agree with that. My Honda Pioneer goes many places where my Kubota MX5200 or Ford F150 couldn't The Honda also goes 65 mph

Andy
Yes, and from my experience its not even close.
My rzr 900s will run around 70 mph

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #52  
But then, some of us are going slower... :ROFLMAO:
defendertows259.jpg

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #53  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
I live immediately outside of the Paul Bunyan State forest in North-central Minnesota. We have tons of trails to the point where I order takeout and take my RZR though the trails to pick it up. It is a hoot. Meanwhile no 4x4 truck could make the same trip. Your mileage may vary.
IMG_3674.JPG

Last edited:
   / Side by Side or 4x4 #54  
I've owned pickup trucks and tractors for decades.
Could my pickup trucks tow more and haul more than my side by side= yes.
Could any my 4x4 trucks go where my sxs will go= no way in hell.
Can my tractor go where my side by side goes = no way in hell.

How large/heavy your tractor is and what tires you have on it makes a huge difference. There was a muddy hill where we were cutting down trees and hauling the logs out several years ago. I used several different pieces of equipment during this job and thus got to directly compare how well they worked. A 50 HP compact on fluid-filled industrial tires could get through but wasn't particularly impressive with its traction. A 3/4 ton pickup truck didn't get very far in before it started to slip, so it was backed out before it got stuck. A single-row side-by-side didn't get stuck but did slip a little bit in a couple of spots, and had to make several small trips due to its tiny bed. An 80 HP utility tractor on fluid-filled ag tires just walked in there and hauled out loader buckets full of logs with no drama, although it made some pretty big ruts. It was definitely the tool of choice out of those for that job.

I have never come anywhere remotely close to going 65-70 MPH doing any actual work off road. I have only ever gone anywhere near that fast doing any kind of work driving on a highway and driving a side-by-side faster than slow-moving-vehicle speeds on a road is illegal here. I have gone close to those speeds goofing off on a four-wheeler and a dirtbike, but that was in no way, shape, or form remotely doing any kind of actual work.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #55  
How large/heavy your tractor is and what tires you have on it makes a huge difference. There was a muddy hill where we were cutting down trees and hauling the logs out several years ago. I used several different pieces of equipment during this job and thus got to directly compare how well they worked. A 50 HP compact on fluid-filled industrial tires could get through but wasn't particularly impressive with its traction. A 3/4 ton pickup truck didn't get very far in before it started to slip, so it was backed out before it got stuck. A single-row side-by-side didn't get stuck but did slip a little bit in a couple of spots, and had to make several small trips due to its tiny bed. An 80 HP utility tractor on fluid-filled ag tires just walked in there and hauled out loader buckets full of logs with no drama, although it made some pretty big ruts. It was definitely the tool of choice out of those for that job.

I have never come anywhere remotely close to going 65-70 MPH doing any actual work off road. I have only ever gone anywhere near that fast doing any kind of work driving on a highway and driving a side-by-side faster than slow-moving-vehicle speeds on a road is illegal here. I have gone close to those speeds goofing off on a four-wheeler and a dirtbike, but that was in no way, shape, or form remotely doing any kind of actual work.

Clipping along at 50-60 mph on a bumpy trail like a munchkin Trophy truck that happens to be hauling the grill for a cook-out with friends at a local high point out in the boonies is a trip worth taking. Trust me.

IMG_3674.JPG

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #57  
You have to decide what your needs are and buy what is appropriate. Some SXS are designed for work, like our Mule 4010 Trans4X4 we bought to work around the farm. The Kubota SXSs are in the same category. Top speed is 25 mph, so no doors or nets, just a seat belt. It is easy to step in or out when making frequent stops, such as when picking up trash along the road frontage. Others are designed to go fast for play and can also do some work. Our Mule is mainly used to tow the manure spreader through the stables and out to the pasture to spread the manure. I have also used it to help the neighbor search his pasture and wooded areas for missing livestock at night.

The Mule goes places a pickup would not fit. A pickup truck would require keeping the aisle in the barn clear of everything, which isn't practical. During wet weather it would tear up the pasture or get stuck. Where we spread is also narrow so a pickup turning radius would not work. Like Eddie, if it were to die, I would be writing a check the same day to replace it.

1677938927653.jpeg

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #58  
Randy, I really like your windshield!!!! I just have a $40 soft plastic one on mine. It's my second one, they last about 3 years, then they start to fall apart. I roll it up in the summer, but really like it when it's cold and rainy out.

Where did you get yours?

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #59  
I’ve only had 2 here. The 6x4 deere worked ok (lightweight but not great ground clearance) the neighbor’s rtv didnt (too much weight and ground clearance issues.) both were good for shuffling around the open spaces/better trails/fields. Rtv was loud, gator was old tech.
These weren’t deal braking just didn’t “fit in” to what we have here. I think if I had a ranch or large property with many outbuildings/fence lines to maintain, they might be ideal.

At the price point they are at, neighbor sold the rtv and went with large quad and I went with jeep (as I have the luxury of having a bunch of things from 2 wheels to 8 or a couple with tracked machines) I also have enough trailers that made the miniature dump beds unnecessary

For sport, those performance sxs look fun but I don’t have the property to justify the silly price point

Last edited:
   / Side by Side or 4x4 #60  
Randy, I really like your windshield!!!! I just have a $40 soft plastic one on mine. It's my second one, they last about 3 years, then they start to fall apart. I roll it up in the summer, but really like it when it's cold and rainy out.

Where did you get yours?
Canton Powersports.