Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #11  
Depends on your property I guess, if you don't have narrow trails, or want to go fast off road, or have spots where a pickup will sink, just get the truck. ATV's and some side by sides have less ground pressure and you can do stuff like drive through a pasture just after a rain without rutting it up, and I have some trails that's just wide enough for my atv and my trailer.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #12  
My side by side, with full cab and heat, weighs ~ 2000 lbs. That Dodge 4x4 pickup will weigh ~ 5000 lb or more. Do you have soft ground at certain times of the year you need to drive over? Max inflation pressure for my side by side tires is 18 psi; I run mine from 10-12 psi. That combined with the independent suspension on all four corners makes for a soft ride with great traction where the pickup just cannot compete. Do you drive roads where you have to be street legal? Some areas allow side by sides on certain roads, with restrictions.

So it all depends on how you intend to use the vehicle.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #13  
In many cases, it’s difficult to justify the cost of a SXS. They’re not cheap. However, before I would consider purchasing some beater full size pickup, I’d buy a Japanese Mini-truck import.

48DCDC7A-4842-4180-B88B-1EB3451C24B2.jpeg

They can be purchased, in great condition for as little as $5K and depending on your budget, you can get one with a turbo diesel, 4x4 and a dump bed. They’re even road legal in many states.

I strongly considered purchasing a japanese mini truck before I decided on my Pioneer 520. The main reason I purchased the Pioneer was its size. It fits in the bed of my truck and can access trails that few other vehicles can. Plus, it’s great on my heavily wooded property.

Mike

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #15  
Like Arly said, different vehicles for different jobs.

Are you driving on relatively flat trails that don't get muddy? Take a car. Need to haul stuff on the same road, take a mini truck. Need a dump bed...that's extra.

Have wide, but poorly maintained trails, with a solid base? The RAM can probably handle it fine. Depending on the specific configuration, ground clearance could be an issue if you need to go off-road. Or, if like on my trails, there are spots a longer vehicle will high center.

Have narrow, trails or soft ground with some desire to go off road and are just touring? A sporty SxS may work fine. Need to do work, get the UTV style with a dump bed.

Options can make a big difference depending on climate and the relative hardiness of the people going along. You may need a fully enclosed cab with air and heat and stereo...probably cheaper to lean towards truck... But, other factors play a role.

May want to take into consideration how you will get the vehicle out if it gets stuck. There are just so many variables, no one can really give you the best answer for your needs.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #17  
We know. to the OP: You can get close to the side with a used Jeep, or similar small sport utility. The advantage it you can also use it as a second car, drive it OTR and go 60+ MPH. The bed is also much longer. The Dodge/Ram won’t go in the same tight spots, but if you don’t need to go in tight spots, or extreme off roading, the advantage of a side by side gets smaller.
I have a 2 door Jeep Rubicon and it’s not a lot bigger than todays large side by sides with cabs.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #18  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?

If by "running up and down the mountains" you mean staying on pavement the entire time then a truck all day long. If you meant going on trails of unknown widths I would go SXS.
We bought our Pioneer 700-4 for mostly work around our property. The dump bed makes it nice. The drawback for us on the SXS is how loud it is at top speed. When you add a roof and a windshield it makes it even louder.

We solved this by utilizing aircraft headsets so we can talk to each other and drown out the noise. We use a battery powered intercom for the headsets to plug in.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #19  
I have a mini truck and a sxs.

The sxs beats the mini truck off road 1000 times over.

Mini truck beats the sxs on road 1000 times over.

I just use the tractor on my property and real truck on the road

Both sxs and mini truck are for sale

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #20  
I have a mini truck and a sxs.

The sxs beats the mini truck off road 1000 times over.

Mini truck beats the sxs on road 1000 times over.

I just use the tractor on my property and real truck on the road

Both sxs and mini truck are for sale
Ya, like me and others have asked "what does the OP really want". :unsure: