Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #1  

BryceSteiner

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK25 T25
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #2  
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Side by Side and also an F150. The Side by Side is great for running around our farm in many place the F150 couldn't go. It runs over small trees and shrubs with ease. It's also much more fun to ride in.

Andy

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #4  
I have a Polaris RZR 900s and a Ford F-250 4x4 truck.
My side by side will go places with ease I would never try to go with my truck and the side by side rides nice and smooth offroad.
My truck will beat the hell out of you offroad.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #5  
Well, are you planning on riding trails, or going places where the smaller size and independent suspension would be a benefit?

If no, you could probably run a used pickup for your needs; a lot of farms around here use old trucks as runabouts. They run fine, but they're not road legal, so why not make the best of them?