Show Us Your Favorite Vises

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #21  
What? No one has a vice on the back of their truck?

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises
Here痴 my post vise using a 12 ductile iron water pipe filled with concrete.

View attachment 596374

DANG,, I have that same piece of 12" ductile iron pipe,, filled with concrete,,
except, mine is a lawn roller,,, :confused2:

Driveway%20After3_zpsvtj1umul.jpg

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #24  
^^^^^
That looks more like a driveway roller to me... which seems to be doing a pretty good job for that purpose.

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises
^^^^^
That looks more like a driveway roller to me... which seems to be doing a pretty good job for that purpose.

It was originally built for the vole runs that pop up each winter, so I call it a lawn roller,,

That roller has rolled literally dozens of acres of new landscaping,,
either my SIL or me tear up dirt somewhere each year,,

But, yea, it does driveways nicely,,, also,,,

Roller_zpslcxnkzyn.jpg

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #26  
I love these vice threads... I have four vises, and a 20T HF press and yes it is on wheels. As are my two bigger vises.

Last edited:
   / Show Us Your Favorite Vises #27  
Here痴 my post vise using a 12 ductile iron water pipe filled with concrete.

View attachment 596374

Every time I see one of these old vices, I am overwhelmed with flashbacks. A bit of a diversion, but I thought I'd share. When I was growing up, and until I got into my late teens and discovered girls, I spent every summer with my Grand dad and my Dad's two younger brothers. I loved Grampa and everything he did. It so happened that he had one of these old, gigantic vices in his garage, and I like to play in the garage and with the old vice.

It goes without saying, that it had the same kind of handle that is pictured in most of these photos; the kind that slides up and down, so the handle is always pointing down. Like I said, this was a huge vice, and the handle was big, long and heavy. I liked to piddle with it, lift it and drop it and listen to it clank. One day I got a little careless, and I let it drop while I still had it between my fingers. When the handle reached the bottom, there were my fingers. It mashed both my finger and my thumb; and I had a blood blister on each of them that was as wide as my finger and my thumb.

I was only maybe 5 or 6 years old, and I thought I was crippled for life. If anything, it was painful, and I never forgot that experience...and I never look at one of those old vices today without thinking about that incident over 70 years ago.

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #28  
No matter what life throws at you....IMG_3602.jpg

Try not to GET YOUR NUTS IN A VISE.

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #29  
This is my favorite, but also the least used. It's just too big but that's why it's my fav.
DSCN8407.JPG
DSCN8412.JPG

It's a Parker 978. I think I'm going to mount it to the side and lower on this 30" steel I beam "table" I made up to be an "outside" bench.

DSCN8410.JPG

Don't worry, I oil it every year at least, and it remains in operating condition although it's just sitting there. It's jaws are at almost 5' the way it sits as shown. My plan (one day) is to mount it so that the beam of the front jaw is about level with the bench top but I'm open to ideas.

/ Show Us Your Favorite Vises #30  
My favorite vises are on the other end of the scale. These old Craftsman drill press vises. I use them often.

Attachments

• vises.jpg
    vises.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 99