Shibaura SD1843 controls/Ford equivalent?

/ Shibaura SD1843 controls/Ford equivalent? #1  

ajharlan

Tractor
Shibaura SD1843
Hey all! I'm looking for help with an old Shibaura SD1843 tractor. It's a 4wd, 3 cylinder diesel.

My main problem is that the controls are all faded/painted over/in Japanese. Does anyone have this 1843 who can give me a run down? I got ahold of a Ford 1300 manual, but I'm thinking it might be closer to the Ford 1510?

I'm aware that a lot of these Shibauras were "remanufactured" by some less than reputable places. This one has a thick coat of red paint over everything, including the serial plates, operating instructions, etc.

I'd like to give it some love and get it starting better in the cold. If I can identify the closest Ford/New Holland equivalent I'm going to replace the glow plugs, filters, etc and go from there.

Any help appreciated! I have an album with pictures of the beast, can share with anyone who might have some insights.

Cheers, Andy

/ Shibaura SD1843 controls/Ford equivalent? #2  
I have a Ford Hew Holland 1710 with a Shibaru 3 cyl engine and they require about 30 - 45 seconds of glow plug to start. I had thought that in the summer it should fire right up and mine was having problems, but when I had it serviced right after I bought it I was told that using glow plugs was normal for this engine.
You might look for a the Ford 1510 or other tractor parts list on Messicks.com. Parts include the decals and the PDFs I have seen are retailed enough to see the wording of cautionary or instructional decals.

/ Shibaura SD1843 controls/Ford equivalent? #3  
I can't offer a lot of help. If you pull a glow plug you may get a brand an model off of it. I have a Mitsubishi but the glow plugs are Nippon-Denso. I contacted a glow plug distributor and found the plugs the dealer had put into my tractor were not the ones that belonged there. The dealer had also bypassed the glow resistor used to drop voltage to the plugs, feeding them with twelver volts. They were supposed to run at 9.5 volts so you can figure they didn't last long at twelve volts. My tractor is grey market and the labels are all in Japanese. Fortunately I was able to locate a Satoh/Mitsubishi dealer who had imported them for years and actually had manuals. It turned out Baldwin made the appropriate air and fuel filters. I use a Bosch oil filter. The only hard part remaining is finding repair parts and thus far I've been successful.