Snow Attachments Shear Pin Question

/ Shear Pin Question #21  
I always engage my blower at idle and then increase the RPM's as someone else mentioned.

Agreed, same goes for my MMM, brush hog.

/ Shear Pin Question #22  
be careful of just upping the shear bolt grade randomly. i made this mistake and bent the crap out of my impeller on my old rear push blower. Look up the blower info online and see what they recommend for shear bolt sizing and follow that.

what i always did

1. Bring tractor to idle.
2. Lower 3 point
3. Engage pto lever (JD870)
4. let out 1st stage of clutch to start pto
4. Increase power to red mark
5. Slowly let out 2 stage clutch to move tractor
6. blow snow.

7. i try never to just stop blowing snow until after the catch area has been cleared of snow. this was to prevent clogging chute

8. i would slowly engage the 2nd stage to stop rearward movement but allow snowblower to continue to blow snow until it stopped blowing snow. then and only then would i shut off the pto.

NOW. with the new tractor. i still have to reduce rpm to idle, then flip electric pto switch. rev it back to 540 pto rpm. But i have HST transmission, so this eliminates need for clutch work. thats real nice. Also, i no longer have any shear pins....that in itself sold me on the hydraulic blower.

its -15F right now.....there expecting 3-5 days of snowfall starting in 2 days. im all ready to go. so far weve only had 8" of snowfall...a very dry but cold start to the season. Todays high was 11F with 20 MPH constant winds....i had to work in unheated house today....still not warmed up in my bones.

/ Shear Pin Question #23  
I use Gr. 5 by 1/4" bolts on my Martin Meteor with no trouble at all. I only busted one last winter when I tried blowing firewood. So far this winter I have been good. After I elongate the hole, (which by the way I expect will happen in about 5 years), I will just ream it out to 5/16" and go again. I think that there is enough meat on the yokes that I can go as big as 3/8" before I would have to replace the yokes.

/ Shear Pin Question
I got some GR5 1/4 with a shoulder on them. There is no thread in shear on these. Possible 10+ inches of snow this weekend. Bring it on!

/ Shear Pin Question
Just an update...

Got some grade 5 bolts wth enough shoulder to keep the threads out of shear and what a difference. Spent a couple hours cleaning up the 10 plus inches we got this weekend. To my surprise, the blower was actually throwing the snow much much further than when I used it a week or so ago on a lesser snowfall amount. No sheared bolts either.

I originally bought the tractor for firewood hauling and working in the woods. However, I think it is going to make a huge difference on how I look at winter storms. Compared to working with my walk behind, this was almost like playing.

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

/ Shear Pin Question #26  
It's great to hear that all is working out good. It's a pleasure to operate machinery when they perform as they should. Have fun playing in the snow...