Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,861  
IMG_0074.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,863  
Wow, that's crazy!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,864  
It does appear that it might be a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt at least!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,866  
Also, the bolt appears to be undersized since they had to use a large washer on top, can you see that bolt shearing at 70 miles an hour?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,867  
Also, the bolt appears to be undersized since they had to use a large washer on top, can you see that bolt shearing at 70 miles an hour?
Maybe, but I’d think the bigger problems would be:

a) Tongue weight will bend the bumper at the mounting hole.
b) That whole assembly will jackknife the first time you hit the brakes, pivoting around that mounting bolt. No way will that assembly stay inline like that, with only a single mounting point.

I’m old enough to remember when most would jury-rig their own trailer hitch assemblies under their vans, wagons, and light trucks, back before commercial bolt-on hitch receiver assemblies were very common. But all had at least some angled gusset strapping or angle, to keep everything straight under brake loading.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,868  
All of which could be accomplished with ease, along the side of the road if need be, using very basic tools, and without the need for any scanners or computers.

And I respectfully disagree. No mix of SAE and metric fasteners, for example. Also, simpler and easier to fake parts. Heck, you could keep driving with one of three fan belts still functional as only the water pump was really necessary.

One example that comes to mind is when a carb took a complete dump on a 10-mile long trail. It took a few tries, but we found the perfect size "metering rock" to stick into the fuel hose and make the fuel flow into the engine right to keep it at the desired rpm.

Later we discussed how tall of a mast would be needed to create enough pressure to keep EFI working. Not as simple as putting a can on the cowl if a normal fuel pump went out. As I recall, it would be some 60 feet tall - not practical on a rock trail in the pines.

I could keep adding to the list, but I'm sure you get the gist of it.
You are the rare exception who can and will come up with creative ways to continue on your journey!
I once had a fuel pump free itself from the engine (1968 Mopar 318), while driving home from work. The engine died. I got out looked under the hood, saw the fuel pump loose from its mounting. The threads had stripped. I rummaged around in the trunck, found the tire iron, remember those, used it to wedge the pump in position and drove it for a couple weeks before fixing the threads.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,869  
A lot of people that have them don't know what a Heavy Half is.

They made a heavy half in the 90s but then in the 2000s they made a 1500hd. The 1500hd had 8 lug axels, 4 wheel disk brakes, 4l80 trans and 6.0 motor all of which the 2500 had and the regular 1500 didn’t. It was by all accounts a 2500 except for the door badge.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,870  
They made a heavy half in the 90s but then in the 2000s they made a 1500hd. The 1500hd had 8 lug axels, 4 wheel disk brakes, 4l80 trans and 6.0 motor all of which the 2500 had and the regular 1500 didn’t. It was by all accounts a 2500 except for the door badge.
I am hoping if Ford does build the F200 that it is a heavy half. That would be perfect for my next truck.