Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,171  
Hows that in America, everything single line braking systems ?

Here in Europe its all dual line: a supply and a command line. Supply fills the tank on the trailer, command controls brake force.

It is the same here from my experience, ~60 psi to release the spring brakes, all non steerable trailer axles have spring brakes. Drop axles don't have spring brakes, self steering axles don't have spring brakes. Here the air lines are referred to as the supply line and the service line. The last truck I drove before retirement was a 2007 Mack 4 axle dump with a 4 axle trailer. The truck had spring brakes on the 3rd and 4th axles. The trailer had spring brakes on the 2nd,, 3rd, and 4th axles. No spring brakes on the steer axle or self steering drop axle on the truck and no spring brake on the turntable mounted front axle on the trailer. On second thought there might have been spring brakes on the first axle of the trailer as I remember a release button on that axle so the turn table could pivot. May well be wrong on that, it's been a few years.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,172  
I was taught not to down shift going down a hill loaded. It's too easy to miss the shift especially if inexperienced like this guy was. I think that is the reason he was coming down the hill in neutral. The downshift is made before the downgrade.
The runaway ramp is in English with no pictogram so if he could not read and understand English he wouldn't know.
This guy filmed the route a few months after the wreck.
He did know well ahead of time he was in trouble and he did not choose any viable out. There aren't a whole lot of outs and to choose one takes a little thought and experience.
My question still is, how did he pass the CDL written test if he didn't know and understand English. If there is a state that administers the CDL written test in Spanish then that is just PC stupidity.
All of the west coast states provide the tests in other languages. We are lost over here.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,173  
What about the company he worked for? They should never have sent him to the mountains without training. Mountain driving is a whole different thing than flatlander driving.

No they shouldn’t have but who decided to continue driving with faulty brakes and decided not to hit one of the multiple runaway ramps and after it was apparent a crash was inevitable decided a line of cars was the best spot to crash. That was all him.

COLORADO, USA — Public records obtained by 9NEWS reveal the owner of the trucking company involved in the I-70 fatal crash involving driver Rogel Aguilera-Mederos is connected to a newer company that was registered a day after the crash.

The newer company, Volt Trucking, also has a history of violations involving brakes and brake connections, according to online federal transportation records.

Castellano 03 Trucking, LLC dissolved a few months after the fatal crash that killed four people in the 28 car pile-up on April 25, 2019.

The day after the crash, on April 26, Volt Trucking LLC was registered as a business with the Texas Secretary of State’s Office, according to online records.

Like Castellano 03 Trucking, Volt Trucking has documented violations, according to inspection reports on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

9NEWS found 23 violations connected to Volt Trucking, including “Inoperative/defective brakes” and “Brake connections with leaks or constrictions.”

And the cycle continues. Better hope to not be on the same road with one of those trucks

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,174  

COLORADO, USA — Public records obtained by 9NEWS reveal the owner of the trucking company involved in the I-70 fatal crash involving driver Rogel Aguilera-Mederos is connected to a newer company that was registered a day after the crash.

The newer company, Volt Trucking, also has a history of violations involving brakes and brake connections, according to online federal transportation records.

Castellano 03 Trucking, LLC dissolved a few months after the fatal crash that killed four people in the 28 car pile-up on April 25, 2019.

The day after the crash, on April 26, Volt Trucking LLC was registered as a business with the Texas Secretary of State’s Office, according to online records.

Like Castellano 03 Trucking, Volt Trucking has documented violations, according to inspection reports on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

9NEWS found 23 violations connected to Volt Trucking, including “Inoperative/defective brakes” and “Brake connections with leaks or constrictions.”

And the cycle continues. Better hope to not be on the same road with one of those trucks
Looks like they hire better lawyers than drivers.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,175  

I don't much credence to reports like this without details. Violations in a CVSA inspection can be, and often are, trivial. Anything from a marker light burned out to a barely audible air leak is a violation. Secondly, how many trucks operate under Volt trucking authority, 1 or 100. "Safety" violations are like overweight tickets, everyone is bound to get one now and then

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,176  
Volt has 4 trucks and 4 drivers. Same owner and same physical address. Basically Castellano 03 under a new name. Castellano had many violations including drivers not speaking English.

About Castellano: I-70 CRASH: Trucking Company Has History Of Brake And English Speaking Violations

The trucking company has been cited for 30 safety violations during 19 inspections in the last 24 months with 3 trucks being placed out of service (OOS) during that time.
According to FMCSA’s Safety Measurement System (SMS), Castellano 03 Trucking has received 23 vehicle maintenance violations with 10 of those involving brake issues.

Further, the company was cited on two occasions for violations pertaining to their drivers not being able to adequately speak and read English.

The exact violations stated,

1.) Driver cannot read or speak the English language sufficiently to respond to official inquiries.
2.) Driver must be able to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,177  
The trucking company has been cited for 30 safety violations during 19 inspections in the last 24 months with 3 trucks being placed out of service (OOS) during that time.
According to FMCSA’s Safety Measurement System (SMS), Castellano 03 Trucking has received 23 vehicle maintenance violations with 10 of those involving brake issues.
The national out of service rate for all trucking is about 20%

Safety Rating & OOS Rates​

(As of 01/02/2022 updated daily from SAFER )

Not Rated

Out of Service Rates​

TypeOOS %National Avg %
Vehicle14.320.9
Driver0.05.6

The above chart is of a subsidiary of the company I retired from in Bellingham WA. They run 24 newer Mack tractors and haul container chassis (49) and containers and pass through port of entry inspection facilities daily if not several times per day. They have been inspected 41 times in the last 24 months. Out of service may be due to brake issues, audible air leaks or low or flat tires. Since I know the company I cited is reasonably safety minded I take the news hype about Castellano with a grain of salt. Castellano's out of service rate is about 16% which is below the national average of 21%. This is why I take everything on TV news and most everything in print news with a healthy load of skepticism.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,178  
So one out of every five trucks that get inspected gets taken out of service? Please tell me that is incorrect or there is some magic system that can find the bad ones, otherwise to think that 20% of the trucks on the road won't pass an inspection is a bit discouraging, especially here in MI where regular trucks can be up to 164,000 lbs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,179  
So one out of every five trucks that get inspected gets taken out of service? Please tell me that is incorrect or there is some magic system that can find the bad ones, otherwise to think that 20% of the trucks on the road won't pass an inspection is a bit discouraging, especially here in MI where regular trucks can be up to 164,000 lbs.
I have been involved in but a few inspections but was amazed of the different results.
Seems truckers soon learn which station/agency will overlook what defects.

One I saw that passed had tires so scary that I'd not drive in it.
Another insisted on the most minor flaws that were simply not a real danger.

Was surprise to learn that a missing catalytic converter was not considered a defect.
Agency claimed that it was not a driving or life saving hazard.
They seem to concentrate on steering and brake issues and ignore environmental issues leaving that to the EPA.

Lights, horns and reflector tape strips they seem to deem minor.

On the other hand I was impressed on the driver medical concerns.
One driver I know explained how they must pass a medical every 6 months without any trace of any drugs, so much so that he avoids bars and locations that folks might smoke a joint as apparently even second hand smoke will show up in his tests.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,180  
Was surprise to learn that a missing catalytic converter was not considered a defect.
Agency claimed that it was not a driving or life saving hazard.
They seem to concentrate on steering and brake issues and ignore environmental issues leaving that to the EPA.
That makes sense to me. What safety issue comes from the lack of presence of a catalytic converter?

Last edited: