Security camera from old smart phone/phones

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #61  
I put 400 watts of solar panels on my deer blind, and a 100ah 12v lithium battery. I have a Reolink brand NVR (network video recorder) and currently 4 security cameras (4k, like the very high def TVs). An old cell phone provides internet access to the NVR. I can watch the cameras live from my cell phone, and I get motion alerts to my phone. The new cameras use AI to identify people and vehicles, and alerts can be configured for any motion, or people or vehicles. So I don't get bogus alerts when a bug flies by at night. But as I approach the door, my phone dings to tell me a person is at the door of the deer blind.

I'm still working out the bugs, but I'll be adding pan/tilt/zoom cameras soon. It is my plan to use security camras instead of trail cameras on the hunting property.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #62  
I have to be away from home for a week and am looking into obtaining a couple of used smart phones to use as monitors so I can keep an eye on things. There's a guy on youtube who says it can be done with an app called Alfred.
If I can figure all of that out, keeping the battery charged will be my major concern so here's my question.
(Will leaving a smart phone plugged into the charger for a week destroy the battery, set a fire or anything negative?). It seems to me that with all their smartness the phones would disconnect from the charger when the battery got full and reconnect when it needed more juice.
I use Alfred w an old phone. Every so often the phone decides to do something that stops the Alfred app. For peace of mind I got a solar wifi cam for under $50 and it always works. No wires. No motors. Wide field of view and night IR. Alerts when motion detected. Amazon has many listed.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #63  
a guy on youtube
Maybe there's a guy on YouTube that would know? Or your Verizon Cell phone dealer?
Wait, do you have a cell phone? An instruction manual/user guide?
Never hurts to read the instructions, honest!

BTW: If you're 'into' projects and hacks, check out INSTRUCTABLES for ideas on video, cameras and such. Some very creative folks with detailed instructions, parts lists, links to product, video and explanations + way to message and get feedback.

Last edited:
   / Security camera from old smart phone/phones #64  
I got a solar wifi cam for under $50 and it always works.
What brand? Name? Model? As you said, there are lots of 'em on Amazon and one cannot trust teh reviews there. But your review is here - just absent the id or link. Please

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #65  
I also have Wyze and Geeni. Both with micro SD cards. I have the floodlight versions also at home and business. I got rid of Ring because they were subscription only. Not sure about today. Getting into the system can be setup with two factor ID. I have about 30 of them. The ones at my business which is unoccupied except for tenants are running off the cell tower to my Mofi router. No other internet provider. Some are PAT that I can operate with my phone or iPad. They also track motion and all of them have two way audio. Lots more features than an old cell phone.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #66  
I have to be away from home for a week and am looking into obtaining a couple of used smart phones to use as monitors so I can keep an eye on things. There's a guy on youtube who says it can be done with an app called Alfred.
If I can figure all of that out, keeping the battery charged will be my major concern so here's my question.
(Will leaving a smart phone plugged into the charger for a week destroy the battery, set a fire or anything negative?). It seems to me that with all their smartness the phones would disconnect from the charger when the battery got full and reconnect when it needed more juice.
Yes, it's ok to leave plugged in. Free and easy to try with any old phone. No sim card or cell plan needed if in wifi range. The app store has several free apps just for this purpose. Just download and follow the easy setup. It's been a couple of years since I did this, and it worked fine. BUT, I now prefer Security cameras. For under $50 you get outdoor cameras that recognize a person from an animal, alert to movement of people only if you prefer. Good night vision. Two way voice, etc. I have one at the barn overlooking my gas tanks that loudly announces "You are in the security zone" when it detects a human.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #67  
I use 2 sets of Lorex security cameras. One wireless that records movments and one hard wired that records 24 hrs. Each uses 4 HD cameras, one specifically to capture tag numbers. Nothing that happens here is missed and neither is connected to the internet so they can't be hacked.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #68  
The biggest problem with security cameras is data security. I have read reports of cameras that quietly connect to servers in China or elsewhere. This goes undetected unless you use some good data sniffer software and capture the data stream.

One instance was once the camera was configured and working "in the cloud" it contacted it's secret server. The owner found and blocked this access but then the camera rebooted ever 30 seconds making it pretty much worthless. To confirm, he let it connect to the secret server again and it functioned normally. In the end the user tracked it down to code in the firmware that couldn't be overwritten. It was a spy camera at it's core.

IF you have the know how to set up a system so that it doesn't use the cloud and you "tunnel" back in to check you can keep it fairly secure, unless it is like the one described above.

IF you don't want to mess with your own security you can get a subscription to a cloud service so you access the images that way. Then you have to ask yourself, do you really know what data is going where? Even if the cloud service is secure, is the camera sending data elsewhere?

Not only can the bad guys potentially gain access to your network, they can observe your habits and routines and use that info for evil as well. Am I paranoid? Perhaps. But we have never had any issues and I intend to keep it that way by not doing anything stupid with data and access.

This subject is most timely for me as I just started researching some security cameras. So far I haven't found anything I like and trust at the same time. I won't be making any purchases until I learn a LOT more about the subject.

At the very least cameras will be on a separate network from the rest of my systems. A good firewall could potentially keep it isolated but an even better approach would be to have a separate internet service connection for just the camera system.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #69  
The biggest problem with security cameras is data security. I have read reports of cameras that quietly connect to servers in China or elsewhere. This goes undetected unless you use some good data sniffer software and capture the data stream.

One instance was once the camera was configured and working "in the cloud" it contacted it's secret server. The owner found and blocked this access but then the camera rebooted ever 30 seconds making it pretty much worthless. To confirm, he let it connect to the secret server again and it functioned normally. In the end the user tracked it down to code in the firmware that couldn't be overwritten. It was a spy camera at it's core.
And another possibility could be all overseas cloud servers shut down at once. Chaos.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #70  

Stuckmotor, I got a bit frustrated seeing this thread head off into the horizon without answering your question. So here is what I experienced with Alfred:

I just experimented with it locally for free, not remote until I got the basic set up down. We are far away off grid (as in zero utilities), no cell signal but have WiFi via StarLink. I used an old Samsung with a worn out battery but backed it up with a spare power brick. I enclosed both in an old game camera housing so the phone's camera pointed out the original camera sight. It was reasonably weathertite and easy to point and reasonably concealed. The gate I pointed at is about 100' from the house so that put in flakey, out-of-range for WiFi. So I'd need some WiFi extension. And then I'd need to power to the mesh. And if I trenched in power I might as well add a data line. Gee, might as well do PoE. It went on from there and the experiment ended. I hate chopping through tree roots in the forest.... They need all the roots they have these days.

But Alfred worked pretty good and the subscription was very reasonable if I needed the cloud app for remote. The problem would be the same regardless of who's device I used: wired power and data connection. We're not gone for much more than part of a day and we're minimally worried about bad guys - more about who actually came here and forest critters. And then there are 3 catahoulas inside the house or fence....