Security camera from old smart phone/phones

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #71  
When I wanted pictures from a camera at a construction project, had power but no internet. I got a router that supported cellular, than used IP camera to FTP to me. I sent pictures something like once a minute. I had over 70,000 pictures.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones
Stuckmotor, I got a bit frustrated seeing this thread head off into the horizon without answering your question. So here is what I experienced with Alfred:

I just experimented with it locally for free, not remote until I got the basic set up down. We are far away off grid (as in zero utilities), no cell signal but have WiFi via StarLink. I used an old Samsung with a worn out battery but backed it up with a spare power brick. I enclosed both in an old game camera housing so the phone's camera pointed out the original camera sight. It was reasonably weathertite and easy to point and reasonably concealed. The gate I pointed at is about 100' from the house so that put in flakey, out-of-range for WiFi. So I'd need some WiFi extension. And then I'd need to power to the mesh. And if I trenched in power I might as well add a data line. Gee, might as well do PoE. It went on from there and the experiment ended. I hate chopping through tree roots in the forest.... They need all the roots they have these days.

But Alfred worked pretty good and the subscription was very reasonable if I needed the cloud app for remote. The problem would be the same regardless of who's device I used: wired power and data connection. We're not gone for much more than part of a day and we're minimally worried about bad guys - more about who actually came here and forest critters. And then there are 3 catahoulas inside the house or fence....
Thank you JR,
I ordered and just received a lighted table top magnifier so I can read the tiny written instructions and attempt to set up the light socket camera. I'll comment on this thread about any progress I make.

Your off grid home sounds like a very nice place to live.
Stuck

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #73  
uj4efqjxc2ka1.jpg

Discussion, but it doesn't add much:

Last edited:
   / Security camera from old smart phone/phones #74  
Stuckmotor, I got a bit frustrated seeing this thread head off into the horizon without answering your question. So here is what I experienced with Alfred:

I just experimented with it locally for free, not remote until I got the basic set up down. We are far away off grid (as in zero utilities), no cell signal but have WiFi via StarLink. I used an old Samsung with a worn out battery but backed it up with a spare power brick. I enclosed both in an old game camera housing so the phone's camera pointed out the original camera sight. It was reasonably weathertite and easy to point and reasonably concealed. The gate I pointed at is about 100' from the house so that put in flakey, out-of-range for WiFi. So I'd need some WiFi extension. And then I'd need to power to the mesh. And if I trenched in power I might as well add a data line. Gee, might as well do PoE. It went on from there and the experiment ended. I hate chopping through tree roots in the forest.... They need all the roots they have these days.

But Alfred worked pretty good and the subscription was very reasonable if I needed the cloud app for remote. The problem would be the same regardless of who's device I used: wired power and data connection. We're not gone for much more than part of a day and we're minimally worried about bad guys - more about who actually came here and forest critters. And then there are 3 catahoulas inside the house or fence....
JRH02, Hope this helps

This is not the most inexpensive alterative, but it works great for me. I have a lorex wireless security system that will work within 250-350 ft from the receiver. 1. It is battery powered, but the batteries last 1 to 2 months and are monitored on the viewing monitor. They will record when there is motion and you can go back and see any recordings made within 2 weeks. I live on a dead end road but it is surprising how many people drive down "just looking around". It is not connected to the internet and none of my security systems ever will be.

2. I also have a wired lorex system that records 24hrs a day. I rarely look at it, it's 10 years old and runs like new.

3. I also 3. have a dozen or so game cams scattered around the 40 acres. The most important ones take pictures of the ones in plain sight. I had 2 stolen last year, but when i posted the pictures of the people that stole them at the local firehouse with a note saying put them back or a police report would be filed. They were both back within 2 days. Those would have cost as nuch as the wirelsss video system.

I worked at a video security company for a while so I understand how they work, and the most important thing which is the correct placement of the cameras.

Also love my two large, loud dogs that can hear a vehicle come around the corner 1/4 mile away. Some people call me paranoid, I call it prepared.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #75  
I put 400 watts of solar panels on my deer blind, and a 100ah 12v lithium battery. I have a Reolink brand NVR (network video recorder) and currently 4 security cameras (4k, like the very high def TVs). An old cell phone provides internet access to the NVR. I can watch the cameras live from my cell phone, and I get motion alerts to my phone. The new cameras use AI to identify people and vehicles, and alerts can be configured for any motion, or people or vehicles. So I don't get bogus alerts when a bug flies by at night. But as I approach the door, my phone dings to tell me a person is at the door of the deer blind.

I'm still working out the bugs, but I'll be adding pan/tilt/zoom cameras soon. It is my plan to use security camras instead of trail cameras on the hunting property.
If they are connected to the internet you are not the only one that watch them.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #76  
If they are connected to the internet you are not the only one that watch them.

The NVR is not directly on the internet, in that the NVR accesses the internet from behind a firewall. So the IP for the NVR is directly scannable. Reolink provides peer to peer (P2P) connection service between their app and devices, and there has been some discussion about Reolink's security. This is primary threat vector: the NVR phones home, so their server can mediate P2P connections to the app. This creates an opportunity to be compromized if Reolink's systems are hacked. But Reolink is popular enough that they get a lot of scrutiny. And Reolink uses security as a marketing opportunity. P2P from a reputable brand is nothing like P2P from some random sketchy vendor on ebay.

Lets assume someone did compromise Reolink and was able to spy on their cameras. The nature of that type of breach would mean the perp probably has access to many cameras. They'd be checking cameras for something interesting to them - which unfortunately in today's world likely means cameras in bed rooms. My cameras wouldn't get more than a passing glance as they look for what they're after.

Nothing is 100% secure, but for outdoor use I'm not not the the least concerned.

IMO, people should be much more concerned about having glass windows in their houses. Anyone with rock can get in.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #77  
The NVR is not directly on the internet, in that the NVR accesses the internet from behind a firewall. So the IP for the NVR is directly scannable. Reolink provides peer to peer (P2P) connection service between their app and devices, and there has been some discussion about Reolink's security. This is primary threat vector: the NVR phones home, so their server can mediate P2P connections to the app. This creates an opportunity to be compromized if Reolink's systems are hacked. But Reolink is popular enough that they get a lot of scrutiny. And Reolink uses security as a marketing opportunity. P2P from a reputable brand is nothing like P2P from some random sketchy vendor on ebay.

Lets assume someone did compromise Reolink and was able to spy on their cameras. The nature of that type of breach would mean the perp probably has access to many cameras. They'd be checking cameras for something interesting to them - which unfortunately in today's world likely means cameras in bed rooms. My cameras wouldn't get more than a passing glance as they look for what they're after.

Nothing is 100% secure, but for outdoor use I'm not not the the least concerned.

IMO, people should be much more concerned about having glass windows in their houses. Anyone with rock can get in.
Does your NVP have an IP address ?

Anyone with rock can get in.......... Not if they meet an AR15 first.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #79  
To anyone reading this thread who feels more should be said between myself and @Black Dog 2, my recomendation is that you adopt his level of paranoia.
And anyone else doesn't need me to say anything.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #80  
My cell cam still working good