Security camera from old smart phone/phones

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #31  
The problem with mobile hotspots is the battery breaks down and quits working very quickly if left connected to power all the time. I have a friend of mine who warned me about this when he went through his 3rd Verizon hotspot in less than a year. I have an AT&T Netgear 5g hotspot that warns me to unplug it when fully charged.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #32  
I have a couple cameras, each does a different thing but the cellular trail cam (Spypoint) sends motion or demand pictures at certain times with no instant viewing. You can see who was there but they're long gone. Free plan for 100 pics a month, no video. The Wyze camera is good for demand viewing and has a good picture on the smart phone, no computer viewing, need a plan for motion detection. Also use a Blink setup, pretty good motion detection and near instant viewing. Real simple outdoor install, works on battery with wifi, no wires, and indoor camera with wired power. Gives on demand video and shapshot with temperature readout too. I like the blink but it is also phone only at this point. Need the plan for this at $100 a year though, get more warranty and handles several different camera styles. Stores videos in cloud for 3 to 60 days.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones
Don't know. Worst I've read was 'Santa Claus' terrifying a little girl speaking from the baby monitor in her room while she changed for bed.

Researching Arlo I saw criticism of security holes kept secret, not fixed.

Maybe Google 'webcam security incidents'.
I vaguely remember the little girl and Santa Claus' story. If there was an arrest made or even a person of interest identified, I don't remember.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a camera that screws into a light socket?

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #35  
How do webcams get hacked? Are you saying someone can hack the router and access it locally?
Did you scan the little QR code to connect to your camera? That's the link to the VPN service in China your camera connects to bypassing your firewall security. Your camera has a Chinese IP address and a wide open back door to your intranet if you allow it internet access.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #36  
No. I don't scan those QR codes.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #37  
I'd thought about that and it's still an option for the corral. To be honest, I thought the used phone idea might be less expensive.
This is how I learned about these, a farmer buddy has a "farm store" with regular traffic in and out and 50 some head of Highland that love to get their head stuck in the hay feeders. I've been with him while he recieved an alert and it's pretty amazing.
I still don't have one but I'm very curious.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #38  
Could you describe your system? That sounds great.

I don’t know what he used but we use a cheap cellular game camera and once I receive a photo of them all happily eating, I call it and drop the gate. They go nuts for a little while.

4465E84C-108E-441D-A6E9-02E73686C0FE.jpeg

Then settle down and wait for me to get there.

500D6FC1-B328-4C5A-A64A-8505790DAA17.jpeg

My control uses a dual tone multi frequency receiver, so I have several outputs and can reboot the camera remotely too.

Jager pro or bore buster traps have controls you can buy vs build and at least one will stream live video. I am cheap though.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #39  
Here's a discussion group for owners of Wyze camera systems:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/

Arlo systems similar. Just put arlo after the /r/.

I saw a post there where someone is hacking his Arlo to make the vid available using Spypoint software in place of Arlo's, to continue use of the cameras that Arlo no longer supports. At least I think that's what he was talking about. Apparently the original Arlo hub is an ordinary router and the cameras know its secret local IP. Change the camera's destination IP and the cameras will respond to a new host. Or something like that. I just glanced through that post. YMMV. :)

I don’t know what he used but we use a cheap cellular game camera and once I receive a photo of them all happily eating, I call it and drop the gate. They go nuts for a little while.

View attachment 782972

Then settle down and wait for me to get there.

View attachment 782971
My control uses a dual tone multi frequency receiver, so I have several outputs and can reboot the camera remotely too.

Jager pro or bore buster traps have controls you can buy vs build and at least one will stream live video. I am cheap though.
My cattle hauler guy came today. I set the gates on the corral so they'd work when I pulled on the ropes before the beasts realized what I was doing. They'll soon be at McDonalds.
That leaves the four extraordinary spooky ones to go. I may be able to catch them by closing the gates blind of what's in there.