securing attachment/implement

/ securing attachment/implement #11  
I learned the "secure" lesson when I was 16.

At a summer job at a lumber yard, a co-worker lost an entire pallet load of plywood on a busy intersection in downtown Des Moines. It was not strapped down. My job was to drive the 1 ton flatbed there and load up the plywood with the help of a short, skinny old guy that ran out of juice pretty fast.

/ securing attachment/implement #12  
I learned the "secure" lesson when I was 16.

At a summer job at a lumber yard, a co-worker lost an entire pallet load of plywood on a busy intersection in downtown Des Moines. It was not strapped down. My job was to drive the 1 ton flatbed there and load up the plywood with the help of a short, skinny old guy that ran out of juice pretty fast.
What happened to the co-worker that, he didn't go pick them up? Just wondering. Jon

/ securing attachment/implement #13  
What happened to the co-worker that, he didn't go pick them up? Just wondering. Jon
It has been over 50 years ago but I think he was running out of time. I think he had a couple more stops to make load on more material before the end of the business day and head home to get unloaded.

/ securing attachment/implement #14  
I use 4 chains rather than 2 chains. If 1 brakes 3 will hold things ok enough. If 1 of 2 chains brakes things aren't going to be secured much at all. Machine will go forward or back a bit, then loose lateral support as well as front to back support. Don't cross chain either as the machine can twist & slack all the chains if one comes loose.

I'm a bit more lax on chaining down impliments that are firmly attached to the tractor though. Unattached implements, definitely get chained. But for short 1-5 mile runs I often don't throw a chain over the mower or loader.
I would add that if you happen to have a less than 10k backhoe with a "dipper" with a locking device then the dipper can remain up and need not be chained down.

/ securing attachment/implement #15  
I would add that if you happen to have a less than 10k backhoe with a "dipper" with a locking device then the dipper can remain up and need not be chained down.
From having hauled more TLB's than I can count, I've never hauled one with the backhoe in the air. Even on a "lightweight" backhoe, the tractor will bounce on the tires if the backhoe is not set on the deck.

/ securing attachment/implement #16  
From having hauled more TLB's than I can count, I've never hauled one with the backhoe in the air. Even on a "lightweight" backhoe, the tractor will bounce on the tires if the backhoe is not set on the deck.
My Kubota's owner's manual says to transport the bucket on the deck.