Scag Advantage deck just sucks.

/ Scag Advantage deck just sucks. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Let me start by saying I really like this mower and its features and bought it used 5 or 6 years ago. I like the ergonomics, feedback of the controls, how it handles, serviceability, etc etc.

But the "A" deck just sucks. I have read quite a few threads on other forums pertaining to the same issue.

The issue is no matter how everything is set.....this deck just likes to plug up. I have adjusted the pitch anywhere from level to 1/2"+ higher in back....I have adjusted "real" cutting height everywhere from 2" to 3-1/2", I have had the front baffle in all of the three locations, I have tried standard blades, high lifts, and gators. And every combination of the above over the last 5-6 years.

The newer deck for the scag wildcats is the velocity or velocitor or something like that. The "V" deck. Supposed to be 10x's better. I am confident it is just the deck design. Something inherently wrong with it, not creating enough airflow, lift or something.

So, anyone out there with the "A" deck find something that works? Or anyone with a "V" deck care to share some pics of the underside? Cause I would like to do something this winter to make things better. Some type of modifications or fab work to make it not plug. It cuts grass extremely well, but when it plugs, I get alot of blow out in the front that covers my legs, and a poor cut. And no matter what or how sharp the blades are.....it dont cut the stemy stuff well at all. Like the buckhorn and queen anns lace.

And before anyone says it.....this is only cutting in dry conditions.

/ Scag Advantage deck just sucks.
This is only from last mowing of my 6 acres last week. And not a drop of rain for over a week.

IMG_20160815_143240240-1600x900.jpgIMG_20160815_143301572-1600x900.jpg

Dad's comparable bobcat zt223 doesn't seem to have the same issue

/ Scag Advantage deck just sucks. #3  
Well dry conditions were my first thought but you won't let me say that so maybe cut more ofter or cut slower. :laughing: Just kidding. I know there's one in every crowd. I'll find out tomorrow what type of deck my son has on his Scag and maybe can get a picture. How is the best way to tell what kind of deck it is. Numbers, design, size, etc. ? His is probably 6-7 years old I think.

I think they say on them, if the labels are still attached. Other than that, i think I could tell just by looking.

I forgot to mention That mine is a 61" deck.

/ Scag Advantage deck just sucks. #5  
Is the deck pitted underneath?

/ Scag Advantage deck just sucks. #6  
I have a Scag Wildcat, and it looks like that's what you have too. For years, I struggled with all the clippings that came out the front of my deck. Then I realized that there was an angle iron that adjusts to catch debris coming out the front. It was at the highest setting, so I lowered it to the lowest setting with some improvement, but nothing significant. I then realized that it might be my blades. I had been using high lift, mulching blades, thinking that they where better the regular blades. I think they where called G6 Gator Blades. They do cut nicely, but they also create a massive wind tunnel under my deck. This year I ordered stock, factory Scag blades and the difference has been night and day. The is great, but even better, I'm not having to hold my breath in all the dust or burn my eyes with everything the comes out of the front of my deck. I've also noticed that the build up under the deck is a lot less. Everything seems to be coming out the side a lot better. In fact, it's so much better that I no longer turn to the right when mowing because it puts me into the dust cloud coming out of the deck. Have you tried the stock, factory blades yet?

Have you tried the stock, factory blades yet?

I guess I would have to say probably not. Since I bought the mower when it was used at 2900hrs, from a mowing company......I am sure its been through more than a few sets of blades. And yes, I have G6 mulchers too. And you are certainly right about how they preform.

the other set I currently have look just like these http://www.griggslawnandtractor.net...nPPNrfzoszOLoDa0o5WK82hK_lBuf9ppTQaAoX78P8HAQ

While not as bad as the gators, they still create a ton of build up under the deck.

Is the deck pitted underneath?

Its a 10-15 year old mower.....so it certainly dont look new.......but not on the verge of rusting through any time soon.

/ Scag Advantage deck just sucks. #9  
Its a 10-15 year old mower.....so it certainly dont look new.......but not on the verge of rusting through any time soon.

Might be time to blast it and paint it with a good epoxy. In my opinion a pitted rusty deck will clog with grass no matter what you do. POR15 may be another option. Still has to be blasted though.

While that may be part of the issue, I don't think it's the sole issue. And certainly plan on giving the underside a good cleaning and painting this winter.

But want to make any modifications prior to doing that.

There are many other threads on sites like lawnsite about the A deck being a bad one. Kinda confirmed by scag quickly doing a redesign and going to the V deck.

I am more interested in what modifications can be done to the A deck, to make it preform more like the V. And what some of those differences are, prior to cleaning/blasting and painting.