SA TRANS FAN

/ SA TRANS FAN #1  

tractorred

Bronze Member
Just a reminder for owners of early SA tractors, if you have done your own maint you should have noticed the plastic fan that is located at the end of the driveshaft from the engine to trans. Customers found that the fan blades were being broken by tall grass and or small twigs, thus once broken there was no cooling for the trans. It took Yanmar a long time to come up with a factory housing to keep the debris from the fan, in the mean time a lot of dealers/owners installed a piece of chicken wire about 20 by 20 " square under the shaft to keep grass & twigs from hitting the fan, also a few used a small pipe from side to side that would keep the grass bent down before the fan but not twigs. The Yanmar unit is expensive to purchase & install, last known was 400 plus. While you are checking this make sure that the cooling fins on the trans are clear, and not packed with grass and debris.

SA FAN SCREEN.JPG

/ SA TRANS FAN #2  
$400+ for what, the fan blade? o_O

I made a new fan blade for my Eaton trans on my Kenbota. I think I have about 25 cents in sheet metal in it.

That's a good idea for the guard screen. (y)

/ SA TRANS FAN #3  
I've been meaning to make this modification for some time! Thank you for the reminder!

/ SA TRANS FAN #4  
$400+ for what, the fan blade? o_O

I made a new fan blade for my Eaton trans on my Kenbota. I think I have about 25 cents in sheet metal in it.

That's a good idea for the guard screen. (y)
They make a guard for the whole underside of the tractor, including the transmission filter and the hydraulic couplers for the loader. That's what costs $400.00 plus.

/ SA TRANS FAN #5  
Just a reminder for owners of early SA tractors, if you have done your own maint you should have noticed the plastic fan that is located at the end of the driveshaft from the engine to trans. Customers found that the fan blades were being broken by tall grass and or small twigs, thus once broken there was no cooling for the trans. It took Yanmar a long time to come up with a factory housing to keep the debris from the fan, in the mean time a lot of dealers/owners installed a piece of chicken wire about 20 by 20 " square under the shaft to keep grass & twigs from hitting the fan, also a few used a small pipe from side to side that would keep the grass bent down before the fan but not twigs. The Yanmar unit is expensive to purchase & install, last known was 400 plus. While you are checking this make sure that the cooling fins on the trans are clear, and not packed with grass and debris.

View attachment 710056
The SA-325/425 now come standard with a guard covering the Trans fan. I was going to make one for mine until I crawled under it and looked. This part should fit the 324/424 also.

Attachments

• 20230323_141907.jpg
    20230323_141907.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
   / SA TRANS FAN #6  
For what it is worth, my 424 that I took delivery of in Aug 2020 came with the guard shown in the photo above installed. Not sure when it became standard equipment but it would appear to me to have become so.

/ SA TRANS FAN #7  
I have 2021 324 with the guard on it. Last week I managed to get a stick sneak by the outer edge of the guard. Shredded the fan blades right off. Going to buy the fan and try to install it myself. Fingers crossed, 🤞. Not wanting to pay 400.00 or so to get it fixed.