Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D?

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #1  

NoSmoke

Tractor
YM155D
Hey, I have a Golf TDI for which I use the Rotella 5-40. Thinking of buying it by the pail and also using it for my YM155D. One reason in particular is that it's a hard, old weather start (I dunno why, the Therostart works and it runs fine once it's going). Anyhow, was wondering if the 5-40 would be advisable for this tractor?

Any advice appreciated...

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #2  
I see no reason not to, that's what I would be running in it if it was mine.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #3  
I would be surprised if it helps you much with your cold start though.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #4  
Hey, I have a Golf TDI for which I use the Rotella 5-40. Thinking of buying it by the pail and also using it for my YM155D. One reason in particular is that it's a hard, old weather start (I dunno why, the Therostart works and it runs fine once it's going). Anyhow, was wondering if the 5-40 would be advisable for this tractor?

Any advice appreciated...
Not certain really.

The vintage Yanmars of the YM, F, FX, RS, KE, era machines are 5W30 winter and 10W30 summer. This is per the Yanmar and Deere docs.

Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png

yanmar-oils.png

Here is one of the types that work.

Shell Rotella T4 10W30 Diesel.jpg

The need to have the oil work in heat and to push the heat out of the engine is a plus. 15W40 keeps heat trapped in the engine longer. Heat buildup will cause heads and gaskets to fail.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #5  
I would not use a 40 weight oil in an engine that was specified for 30 weight oils. Don't be misled by the 5W part into thinking it will be a less viscous oil at temperature. It won't. A 5W40 oil is going to be a 40W oil when it warms up.

40W is significantly more viscous than a 30W oil, this will reduce the efficacy of the lubrication (harder for oil to penetrate into close tolerance/high pressure areas) and the more viscous oil adds work load to the engine. In general, an engine specified for a lower weight oil has tighter tolerances throughout the engine, and will be under lubricated with a heavier weight oil.

All the best,

Peter

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #6  
I use Rotella T-6 in my tractors, our Subaru's , dodge trucks with Cummins, and my wife's jeep liberty with a diesel. Lots of info out there on T-6 . However we seldom see temps under 15 degrees, and summers are over 100 degrees.

Any way T-6 was not an option in the 80's so of course it's not listed.
My 70 roadrunner 440+6 calls for sae 30 weight. Of course that's not what I use.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40 for YM155D? #7  
I use Rotella T-6 in my tractors, our Subaru's , dodge trucks with Cummins, and my wife's jeep liberty with a diesel. Lots of info out there on T-6 . However we seldom see temps under 15 degrees, and summers are over 100 degrees.

Any way T-6 was not an option in the 80's so of course it's not listed.
My 70 roadrunner 440+6 calls for sae 30 weight. Of course that's not what I use.
These are the same reasons why people don't run whale oil and straight 10w, 20w or 30w in old vintage tractors. These multigrade oils didn't exist back in the day if they did you would see them included in original literature because they are superior oils .

As for would a 5w vs a 15w oil start easier, in theory yea and it will spin a bit quicker but I don't think enough to matter unless your down around -20 to +10f probably. As for parasitic HP loss, sure it's a thing but again would you tell in fuel consumption or available power while mowing or pulling a disk I don't think you will ever know.

I would say do what you feel comfortable, I would not say it will hurt. But synthetic oils are pretty good cleaners and you may if you have oil build up or sluge around your seals it's possible the sun or semi syn oil will clean some of that off and cause leaks where you may not have had them before. But none of these oils will hurt it do what you feel comfortable with .