Rotella T4 vs T6

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #31  
Doing my 250 hour service on my Branson. Went to O'Riley's to get some oil.
Rotella T6. 1 gal for $76
Rotella T4 1 gal for $22

I walked out with the T4. T6 can't be 3 times better.
I can buy T6 at Walmart for $24.73 (5w-40 or T6-15w-40 $26.15.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #32  
I always use T4 but then again, I change oil once a year disaster what the hours. I tend to do around 100hrs a year. Did my annual, make ready for winter changes this morning. 67 hours this year. Lot of house building not so much landscape work.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #33  
Can't find t6 15W40 anywhere around here. I haven't seen in on the shelf in a year. I have 3 gallons in stock for the next 400 hours. I like T6ii and will continue to use if possible. It is clean and has worked well for me.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #34  
Doing my 250 hour service on my Branson. Went to O'Riley's to get some oil.
Rotella T6. 1 gal for $76
Rotella T4 1 gal for $22

I walked out with the T4. T6 can't be 3 times better.
I think that I posted this in another thread a couple of months back, but at AutoZone there was no T6 on the shelf. The counter guy found me a gallon in the back room. As he was ringing me up the manager came out and told him that no more T6 was to go out the door. However much they had in the back room she was saving for “repeat customers”.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #35  
In my experience T6 is 5W40 and T4 is 0W40. T6 is over $60 CDN for 5 litres here, though T4 is a bit Less. For my two Mitsubishi diesels this time I used up Mobil 1 European Car Blend, an equivalent quality of 0W40, which I had stockpiled for the departed Porsches. The cold-averse Bolens G174 starts quite well in winter on it. I won't know about the CaseIH 255 until the coming snow removal season is complete.

The Kubota B7510 will continue to get expensive T6 because it receives extended periods of heavy work, be it on mowers in summer or chipper and block spitter in fall and winter. It's a good starter with a block heater, if needed.

Last edited:
   / Rotella T4 vs T6 #36  
Im still having a hard time finding 5w40 T6 around here. Seems when them blue jug t6 oils started coming back in stock, they were all 15w40. And at that point, I begin to question whether the t6 in 15w40 is worth the extra money over the T4

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #37  
T6 is made for people that stretch out their oil changes or put a lot of hours on equipment quickly. Most people that change once a year with less hours that oil change recommends will do just fine with T4.
Maybe so but useing t6 and changing at 1,000mi in my honda accord that had burnt oil sticking the rings made this car go from burning 2qts of 5w40 in 1,000mi to burning less than 1/2qt of 5w30 super tech in 4,000mi. Granted it didnt take overnight and took about 7 oil changes but doing an oil change is alot easier that basicly rebuilding an engine. I still own this car today and it has 40k more miles.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #38  
Just a heads up Shell has there Farm rebate offer going through I believe December 31, 2022. It seems to be offered at all of the farm supply stores Blains, Family Farm and Home, TSC around here and I’m sure many others.
I recently bought three gallons, @ Amazon. I looked up Shell's rebate site, and it appears Amazon is not a "participating retailer", so not eligible. :(

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #39  
No matter what lubricants I use, they all still get Archoil AR6100 friction modifier added to them. For me, it's my go to snake oil...lol

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #40  
I recently bought three gallons, @ Amazon. I looked up Shell's rebate site, and it appears Amazon is not a "participating retailer", so not eligible. :(
Yep only at the Farm stores