Rotating pickup tires

/ Rotating pickup tires #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
How often do you rotate your tires, if at all? Pickups and 6 wheel mason dumps. There are a lot of "right answers" at work.

/ Rotating pickup tires #2  
I try to get the E350 van tires rotated once a year. More to check the balance of them than rotation. Due to the van axle layout the front and rear has different track with which I think affects the tire wear.

/ Rotating pickup tires
That is a good point I had not thought of...the front tires of the 6 wheel dumps fall somewhere between the middle of the rear duals.

/ Rotating pickup tires #4  
I measure tread depth across the face of the tread and compare front to back often. When I start to see inconsistencies, I rotate. I have to rotate the tires on my wife's pickup more often than on mine. She can beat about anyone off the line and the tires show it!

/ Rotating pickup tires #5  
My Nissan 4x4 gets rotation every oil change - 4K miles, my F250 SD 4x4 every 5K miles. I'm a professional mechanic and if I've got it on the lift for an oil change I might as well do the tires too. I usually go ahead and stick them on the balancer while off too if I'm not rushed. Belts constantly move in tires and change the balance - yes, even the expensive Michelins too ...

/ Rotating pickup tires #6  
I rotate the tires on my 4x4 every 6 months. Spare to right rear, right rear to right front and right front to spare. Left side is just front to back.

/ Rotating pickup tires #7  
When I start to notice the fronts wearing on the sides.

/ Rotating pickup tires #8  
Don't know what a mason dump is, but my dualies are 7,000 miles. At 10,000 the fronts start showing abnormal wear. At 7000 they wear consistently across until tires are shot.

/ Rotating pickup tires #9  
I rotate mine every other oil change, or somewhere around 10k miles.

/ Rotating pickup tires
A mason dump is a small 6 wheel, 1 ton rated dump truck. Around me if you say "dump truck", most people assume you mean a 10 wheel dump.