RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location #1  

g8erh8er

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HC
I was not satisfied with the location of the 3rd function wiring harness as it was installed at the factory, so I re-routed it to better protect it. In case anyone else's looks similar to mine, below are some before & after pics to show how I fixed the issue.

As installed by the factory, the grey wire that routes to the loader handle button had a lot of slack, and part of it was actually resting on top of the hydraulic filter. To me, the logical place for this wire is with the other wires of the tractor's electrical harness that are tucked neatly out of the way. Maybe that's the way this unit is typically installed. I know a new tech installed mine, so it could possibly just be a one-off.

Anyway, here's a pic showing the wire in question. Part of it has grey insulation on it. The grey insulation switches to a black corrugated protector where the wire plugs into the part of the 3rd function harness that travels up the actual loader. You can see where the grey wire droops down toward the hydraulic filter.

IMG_E2348.JPG

Here's a shot showing the wire as it enters the compartment at the base of the loader handle. Some of the slack was zip tied at the factory to the loader cable as can be seen in this pic.

IMG_E2349.JPG

This next pic shows my finger pointing to where the wire should have been installed. The black tab can be bent down temporarily to accept the wire. There are two or three of these tabs you have to bend down.

IMG_2352.JPG

A pic showing the factory harness location as it travels above the loader hydraulic valve. This is where I relocated the 3rd function wire.

IMG_E2347.JPG

A pic showing the two ends of the third function harness where the grey insulated wire plugs into the black corrugated wire. You just unplug these two connections and place your wires into the main harness route, folding the flexible tabs securely back when you're done.

IMG_2350.JPG

Here's some after shots.

This pic shows the 3rd function harness toward the front of the tractor cab.

Red Arrow - wires to loader handle, after being relocated
Green Arrow - wires to battery
Blue Arrow - wires to 3rd function valve

IMG_E2354.JPG

This one shows the relocated wire just above the loader valve, instead of drooping below it and laying across the hydraulic filter as originally installed.

IMG_E2355.JPG

Toward the rear of the tractor just below the loader handle. You can just make out the grey wire in the right of this pic. I stuffed the excess slack into the loader handle base for now. I will eventually open up that compartment and loop the wire back on itself and zip tie it so it doesn't interfere with any of the mechanical components in the base.

IMG_2358.JPG

This one shows wire as it travels into the bottom of the loader handle base.

IMG_2361.JPG

Finally, just some randoms of zip ties I added to the wiring that travels up the loader to better secure the harness.

IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2346.JPG

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location #2  
It seems odd that the female bullet connectors are OEM grade (can tell by the connector and the shield) while the male connectors (blue) look like hardware-store crimp ons that were not crimped too artfully. You might want to double check or redo those since they don't look right at all. Looks like someone mashed them with pliers instead of using a crimper.

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location
It seems odd that the female bullet connectors are OEM grade (can tell by the connector and the shield) while the male connectors (blue) look like hardware-store crimp ons that were not crimped too artfully. You might want to double check or redo those since they don't look right at all. Looks like someone mashed them with pliers instead of using a crimper.

The blue plastic slid right off the male terminals as I unplugged them, so I would agree with your crimping assessment. They appear more mashed than crimped.

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location #4  
That would have concerned me too. Having wires hanging down like that is just daring a limb to grab it. I would have done the same thing.

That would have concerned me too. Having wires hanging down like that is just daring a limb to grab it. I would have done the same thing.

Yep. Aside from it being a sloppy install and just looking bad, limbs catching on the wire was my main concern.

Finished this project today. There was another area at the front of the tractor where the installer took a shortcut instead of following the existing wiring harness route, as shown below.

10444C0F-3B26-47DD-9533-C59172956B02.jpeg

I detached the 3rd function wires from the battery, backed the harness out, and re-routed them along the existing wires that travel to the engine bay.

There is a rectangular cutout at the rear of the engine bay to allow for wire routing. The small black corrugated wire in the next pic is the 3rd function harness. It does take some patience to get the 3rd function harness through that opening, but it is not too bad.

7284ED23-922A-47C4-B5E9-DBAA4DBC458F.jpeg

Here is the final result looking from the outside of the tractor. I am not sure why my installer had such an aversion to routing the 3rd function harness with the existing tractor harness, but it looks good now.

After shot.

4CA4EE5D-4D54-490B-AC75-34E6280D082A.jpeg

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location #7  
Quality of the work depends on the quality of the flunky that was hired.

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location #8  
RK Tractor Guy should use this for some sort of service bulletin to be used by his installation locations. This is the type of thing that can be nipped in the bud with correct training to save a lot of headaches down the road.

RK Tractor Guy should use this for some sort of service bulletin to be used by his installation locations. This is the type of thing that can be nipped in the bud with correct training to save a lot of headaches down the road.

He already has (at least for the pics I included in another post that reflected other issues with my 3rd function valve). I guess my tractor was up against a double whammy, a combination of an inexperienced technician and a breakdown in the predelivery inspection process.

So, I really have no idea which components of the 3rd function harness on my tractor were or were not installed according to Rural King typical installation procedures.

I will say that if any of the routing shown in my before pics reflects a typical install, then RK needs to change their installation instructions.

/ RK55 - 3rd Function Valve Wiring Harness Location #10  
Maybe RK is trying to grow their tractor business a bit too fast. People start seeing those dollar signs from good sales and that tends to get in the way of quality when ramping up a new business.