Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #11  
You just have to be careful how heavy of a GN trailer you end up with.
A Ram 2500 is basically identical to a 3500, except for the rear suspension and the mandated 10K max GVWR, so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.

There are always air springs in case the rear sag is a problem.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #12  
A Ram 2500 is basically identical to a 3500, except for the rear suspension and the mandated 10K max GVWR, so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.

There are always air springs in case the rear sag is a problem.
Sure, but I always felt like if you are spending 75K on a 2500, just spend 76K on a 3500 and get the extra pin weight all legal & ready to go.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #13  
My truck is rated to pull a 16,620 lbs, but I’d be over my payload likely with a trailer that heavy.
Mostly depends on the positioning of your trailer axles.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #14  
Sure, but I always felt like if you are spending 75K on a 2500, just spend 76K on a 3500 and get the extra pin weight all legal & ready to go.
I completely agree. I don't really understand 2500s.

Then again, I understand 1500s much less, unless all you want is a car with a bed in the back.
And I've learned to really dislike bumper pull trailers.

Yes, I'm opinionated, but it's almost all based on experience.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #15  

Then again, I understand 1500s much less, unless all you want is a car with a bed in the back.

This ^^^^^
You and I see the world in very similar ways, my friend.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #16  

I really like a bumper pull trailer for local trips. I can leave the bed clear to haul additional cargo and the bumper pull is easier to hookup. My truck is a flatbed which gives me 9 more feet to load additional implements on or as long as it’s lighter stuff I can put a bundle of building materials up there. My 14k trailer isn’t enough weight behind my 1 ton dually to cause swaying problems or loss of steering assuming you loaded it half way right. If you were going across the country maybe a slightly smoother ride of a 14k GN would appeal to me but not for 10 mile trips. If you’re stepping up to a 20k trailer then I would agree that you need a GN.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #17  
Mostly depends on the positioning of your trailer axles.
Stupidly sold a very nice and light aluminum trailer, instead of adding a 3rd axle to it.

About two months ago my girlfriend bought a Diamond C...for almost twice ($11K) what I bought the aluminum one for in '10.

Anyway, not much choice when it comes to where the weight goes on the new one.
IMG_2144.jpg
DSCN4965.JPG

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #18  
I really like a bumper pull trailer for local trips. I can leave the bed clear to haul additional cargo and the bumper pull is easier to hookup.

To be honest, you don’t lose all the bed space with a GN. I have a 9’ flatbed and there’s 4 feet of space between the GN hitch and the cab where I have a 80G fuel cell and 2 large areas for chain saws, long tools, chains or other cargo. The is also space between the back of the GN hitch and the rear edge or tailgate of the bed.

A GN is only slightly harder for me to hook up.
My truck is a flatbed which gives me 9 more feet to load additional implements on or as long as it’s lighter stuff I can put a bundle of building materials up there. My 14k trailer isn’t enough weight behind my 1 ton dually to cause swaying problems or loss of steering assuming you loaded it half way right.

But the OP has a 2500 SRW

If you were going across the country maybe a slightly smoother ride of a 14k GN would appeal to me but not for 10 mile trips. If you’re stepping up to a 20k trailer then I would agree that you need a GN.

Somewhat agree. I’d probably be into a GN for anything over 14K on a 2500 SRW.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #19  
This ^^^^^
You and I see the world in very similar ways, my friend.
Well, many will surely disagree, but I tend to go by logic, physics, and such. My logic may not always be correct, but it's impossible to cheat physics.

By the way, my Ram also have a 9-foot flatbed and has since shortly after I bought it '17, but I have yet to put anything but a couple of spare tires on the bed. Yes, I installed a TorkLift 30K receiver on it, just in case, but have yet to use it.

Another thing I don't understand (much) is pickup beds. On my girlfriend's 3500 it does make sense, as she pretty much fills it when going to Costco.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #20  
Well, many will surely disagree, but I tend to go by logic, physics, and such. My logic may not always be correct, but it's impossible to cheat physics.

By the way, my Ram also have a 9-foot flatbed and has since shortly after I bought it '17, but I have yet to put anything but a couple of spare tires on the bed. Yes, I installed a TorkLift 30K receiver on it, just in case, but have yet to use it.

Another thing I don't understand (much) is pickup beds.

Dealers seem to like to fill their lots with 10 times the amount of 2500’s as 3500’s.
Probably due to the fact that 3500’s are into CDL territory now.