Replace sediment bowl with inline filter

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #31  
I think you are just fighting yourself now. My suggestion was to replace the entire OEM secondary filter assembly with the Racor unit, should bolt up perfectly. You could use a throw-away inline filter as your primary filter. Or just keep your sediment bowl with the screen in it.

Last edited:
   / Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #32  
I wonder if Racor makes a spin on that will fit the OEM adapter? I'll have to look into that when I have a chance.

I can answer that for you and you don't have to inquire.... NO, they don't and never have. You must either use their base or a Chinese copy (I used the Conus) because the threaded boss that mounts the filter is unique to the filter threads. Just quit being cheap and buy a base (the Conus is 27 bucks) and be done with it and leave your primary filter (changed of course) on the mount. You'll never change it again and you'll never empty the sediment bowl either.

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #33  
I think you are just fighting yourself now. My suggestion was to replace the entire OEM secondary filter assembly with the Racor unit, should bolt up perfectly. You could use a throw-away inline filter as your primary filter. Or just keep your sediment bowl with the screen in it.
I always find it interesting that intelligence oftentimes defeats common sense.... duh

Like I said, I used the less expensive Conus (Amazon) base versus the Racor (27 bucks versus 50). Bought 2 (one for each M9) and got free shipping too.

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #34  
   / Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #35  
What Bob said. Either replace the entire filter setup with one you like or stick with what came on it. As for the sediment bowl I would upgrade that to a glass bowl because it makes maintenance easier. You will still want a sediment bowl no matter what secondary filter you use.

If you are not seeing that much material in the sediment bowl, it is a good bet your tank is in decent shape. As long as you make sure another infection doesn't get started you should be good there.

How often are you replacing the spin on secondary filter? What filter are you using? If you are replacing it fairly often and still getting a lot of crud in the injection pump maybe you should change brands of filters. I have numbers for WIX, NAPA (made by WIX) Fram and AC Delco. I am sure there are others.

Whatever you are finding in the IP is WAY bigger than even the largest spin on filter, indicating there is something else going on. Replacing the OEM housing with something else is not likely to solve your problem until you find out what the problem is.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the OEM setup as long as you use a quality spin on filter. After all it is just a housing with inlet and outlet, the filter does the work unless if fails. IF you want to have a visible bowl at the secondary with a drain on it, that is fine, but it won't solve your problem just by installing it. Besides, the sediment bowl gives you the visual check you are looking for, just a little farther upstream.

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #36  
The NAPA Gold #3195 that I use is listed as a 10 micron filter. Never had an issue with it and I am running the first filter with 890 hours on it.

Spins right on the OEM housing.

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #38  
Ouch... The Racor on the Conus base is 1/4th the cost.
Yeah, that's why the military uses them. Idiot proof and money's no object (MNO).

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #39  
I'm done commenting. I believe we have made it clear what to do and I cannot control his frugality either.... and don't desire to either.

/ Replace sediment bowl with inline filter #40  
You are on borrowed time.
I doubt it. I monitor things closely and have never had anything show up in my sediment bowl. The engine produces full power and runs fine.
I have a spare filter on the shelf ready to go at a moments notice. I don't believe in replacing a fuel filter based on some arbitrary number or date. When it has collected enough debris to affect performance, I will replace it and likely cut it open out of curiosity.
So for the price of two new filters 16 years ago, I have gotten all those hours of use and not lost any sleep over it.