Repelling / Deterring Beavers

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #61  
I haven't seen anybody suggesting a scorched earth policy. Beaver are one of the many animal species which has thrived because of our presence here. There was a time when we did have a negative impact on the population by overtrapping, but that changed long ago. When fur prices were up, beaver was managed extensively, bringing the population to a level where they thrived, yet there was np major conflicts with humans. With the decline of the fur trade there are a lot fewer trappers. Unless you are in an area with wolves, beaver have no major predators, and reproduce quite prolifically. We are accustomed to manipulating nature in ways that suit us. Ny doing so we are able to have homes which can be passed on to generations, among other things.
Well, pulling down, their residence and shooting any that attempt escape, or installing a trap in their dam which effectively kills all who enter there, or lowering the water level to the point where it freezes solid throughout their dam residence (freezing all inside to death) reminds me of the some of the scenes in the movie Little Big Man (1970 - Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway, Chief Dan George) and Col Dyer at the Jallianwala Bagh.

"We are accustomed to manipulating nature in ways that suit us"

And so it goes. Problem is, we have a rather shout sighted appreciation of "what suits us." And, it appears, are motivate to implement solutions offering immediate individual gratification over solutions intended and likely to sustain the (our) species over the ensuing millennia.

" homes which can be passed on to generations"

Short sighted, relatively speaking. If we warm the planet with our carbon emissions, the houses may be left to generations of Palmetto bugs and cock roaches.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #62  
It has been noted that our species is one of the most, if not the most, destructive species on the planet. When I was in school, we thought we might end human civilization with nuclear war - interestingly enough, burying the wealthiest among us in fallout shelters one might imagine being unearthed some ten thousand years later with the 'archeologists' commenting on the tin food containers stacked neatly beside he skeletons.

Instead, it appears we've decided to raise the mean temperature, melt all the ice, raise sea level and flood us all out - could the beavers have planned this?

Every creature on earth marks its territory & will eliminate all rivals/threats within that territory (or they lose the fight & go off to die alone). Why should Man/**** Sapien play "beta" to any other creature after having won the genetic competition to assert our place at the top of the food chain? World living conditions are multiples better today than even 100 years ago, never mind 200 years ago due to our ability to harness cheap reliable energy and use it in a manner that makes all lives better. You want unreliable/expensive energy to ward off some climate bogeyman that isn't even proven to be man-made? Then get ready for a dramatic reduction in longevity & a return to regular bouts of starvation if not cannibalism. I'll be fine as will my family, I can grow and raise food, I can hunt meat, and I can defend my hard-won spoils from the city hoards that all of a sudden realize that food isn't something wrapped in plastic available on demand from down the block. If the ice age is finally ending & we ARE going back to the temps that dominated before the rise of mammals, maybe we do lose our primacy in the animal kingdom eventually, but not without a fight. If that means eliminating destructive pests within my zone of influence in the meantime ... so be it.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #63  
Well, is that the "But everyone else does it" justification? Or the "Johnny does it, too" rationale?

And, like it or not, the 'marching orders' for the "FEDERAL GOV'MENT" essentially come from the likes of Lummis and Barrasso who will pass the buck down to "the people I represent," and that's you, no?

The One point four millions mentioned in the item from Wyoming Public TV(?) would, in my state come out to a hair under one thousand and seventy-seven dollars per county - hardly enough to fund a program! That is, in the scope of things (the issue), not worth mentioning.

It has been noted that our species is one of the most, if not the most, destructive species on the planet. When I was in school, we thought we might end human civilization with nuclear war - interestingly enough, burying the wealthiest among us in fallout shelters one might imagine being unearthed some ten thousand years later with the 'archeologists' commenting on the tin food containers stacked neatly beside he skeletons.

Instead, it appears we've decided to raise the mean temperature, melt all the ice, raise sea level and flood us all out - could the beavers have planned this?

first off ,
You talk like the natives was one tribe and had one land, when in fact they had many tribes in different territories, and they fought over those territories and those territories changes hands over and over so if you own a land to who that land really belongs too? if a piece of land was occupied by the Cherokee then the Iroquoi push them off to who you own the land the Cherokee who had it fist or the Iroquoi who had it after ?? every land was once own by someone else if going far enough.

Nobody ''stole'' anyone land here and nobody should feel guilty for something we haven't done this contempt is ridicules,

We didn't decide anything, the temperature has been on the rise long before we have been polluting it, we simply accelerate the process, people die of cold exposure a lot more then heat exposure it was too cold so by heating it up we save lives...

I somewhat agree with some of the things you say but the way you go at is something else, so negative its draining...every organism or population of individuals out there do the exact thing as we do, consume, reproduce and create waste, any colony if given enough time it will ether consume all the energy available then die, if enough energy available then they will generate enough waste to contaminated itself and die. The planet will be fine, it will survive. Not us we won't, but the planet will be fine. You are as bad as anybody, you like us is using fossil fuel, technology, and energy while producing waste, you are simply judgmental and hypocritical about it.

I don't understand that moral value of putting animals above human, if a hungry bear come by you will you give yourself to him? he is hungry, and his species was here before us he is a predator, and it is the cycle of life after all.

Last edited:
   / Repelling / Deterring Beavers #64  
If the beavers were flooding our road, we'd install one of those perforated pipes which normally makes them move away.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #65  
I live more in nature than most, being surrounded by national forest with little other human occupation. I cherish wildlife and work constantly to improve habitat. I won't let deer eat my garden (even when MY geese are a problem :rolleyes: ) I won't let beavers tunnel into my dam or block the spillway. I will not have raccoons or other things eat my chickens (I let the black snakes have their share of eggs). Coyotes, foxes, bears, cougars and bobcats are welcome to share the woods but must leave my livestock alone, my pack of LGDs takes care of that detail. I have all sort of fish eaters visit my pond and enjoy them but will make eagles attacking my ducks move along for a bit. It's not scorched earth I manage my little piece of it, while trying to create space for the critters. We can coexist but just like I try not destroyed their habitat they must respect mine.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #66  
I live more in nature than most, being surrounded by national forest with little other human occupation. I cherish wildlife and work constantly to improve habitat. I won't let deer eat my garden (even when MY geese are a problem :rolleyes: ) I won't let beavers tunnel into my dam or block the spillway. I will not have raccoons or other things eat my chickens (I let the black snakes have their share of eggs). Coyotes, foxes, bears, cougars and bobcats are welcome to share the woods but must leave my livestock alone, my pack of LGDs takes care of that detail. I have all sort of fish eaters visit my pond and enjoy them but will make eagles attacking my ducks move along for a bit. It's not scorched earth I manage my little piece of it, while trying to create space for the critters. We can coexist but just like I try not destroyed their habitat they must respect mine.
Well stated.

I'm in a slightly more populated area than you, I think. One of the largest geographic Counties in Missouri with a population of 8,500. I can see two houses from my front porch, 1/2 mile away.

Deer eat Pears off our backyard tree. Bobcats hunt mice in our yard fenceline. Eagles clean up Deer carcasses. I respect them all. It's a mutual respect. They know my boundaries. I know theirs. Very rare to get a violation on either side. I don't sport hunt. I only resort to a gun by necessity.

I don't have Beavers in my ponds. There are a few in the creek at the corner of my farm. What I do have periodically is Muskrats in my ponds. I eliminate them on sight.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #67  
My dogs do a pretty good job of keeping nuisance critters away. Not too many beaver in FL (at least not the type I want to keep away), but armadillo & raccoons can get pretty destructive. The dogs will kill & eat some of them, chase the rest away. Raccoons usually take two dogs to avoid a vet visit but I have had two dogs (both females) that would take them on & kill them alone without suffering more than chewed ears. Most prolific raccoon hunter I ever had was a chow/shih tsu mix from the pound. She'd take on raccoons almost as big as she was & win due to her thick fur being almost impenetrable. My current German Shepherd will kill armadillo at night then drag them back to the house to show off. Raccoons avoid her.
Thank you Alexpops. I was 5 pages deep in this thread looking for the beaver joke and finally you made it. I was getting pretty worried everyone had lost their sense of humour.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #68  
Thank you Alexpops. I was 5 pages deep in this thread looking for the beaver joke and finally you made it. I was getting pretty worried everyone had lost their sense of humour.
If you really want to find a joke, it would be a bit easier in the "Groan" thread. :D

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #69  
my uncles who has a trap line in northern Ontario he is catching 100 beavers a season … he has a quota of 95 … he manage them the population is thriving…

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers
I really appreciated the suggestions that I got on this post. I decided to stop replying after charlessenf got on his high horse to tell me that I have no right to control what happens on my land. Yes, it is my land. I own it and I am a steward for it. I did not steal it from the native tribes that were here before me. The beavers cut down trees on the banks of the Weber river which is a major water source for Northern Utah, the Great Salt Lake. Cutting down the trees interferes with the water flow and also creates flooding problems, especially this year with our massive snowfall.

So I choose to ignore Charles's idiotic comments. However, I did want to share that I found an effective, non-lethal solution that appears to drive the beavers away from the trees that I want to protect. When I find teeth marks on a tree I spray it with Cole's Flaming Squirrel Seed Sauce. Works like a charm and the the beavers eventually gave up and moved somewhere else.