Repelling / Deterring Beavers

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #1  

muttbarker

Tractor
Kubota L4060HST-LE
Howdy this is definitely off topic but I thought I would see if some of the smart folk on here could give me some advice. I live in Northern Utah and have acreage on the Weber River. We had a beaver family that did enormous damage to our cottonwood trees a few years back (prior to my buying the land). I had them trapped and sent off to beaver heaven.

I recently discovered that they are back in the neighborhood. It is to late to bring in a trapper as the river is already pretty significantly iced over so that will have to be done in the spring. I am wondering if anyone on here has had any luck with a repellent. I have read that hot sauce may do the trick but I have a very large river woodland area (at least an acre right on the river) so I wanted to get some feedback before I start in on this. They have already decimated two trees in a matter of a week or so to the point where I will have to fell them as they ready to go and are quite dangerous.

Any advice is appreciated. And, no, I can't fence the area it is to large.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_7235.JPG
    IMG_7235.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 273
   / Repelling / Deterring Beavers #4  
Actually freezing over helps the trapper. Call a trapper.
I've got a few problem houses I need to set up myself, but am waiting for things to freeze solid. I just found another one tonight, we already are losing a culvert because of it. The cold also makes the fur prime up. 👍

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #5  
Check with the department of wildlife in Ohio as the landowner I can trap out of season when the water isn’t frozen. I can also shoot them which I do all the time, including the one on my. Wall that took a .17 hmr to the head in an unfortunate collision
IMG_2079.JPG

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #6  
Check with the department of wildlife in Ohio as the landowner I can trap out of season when the water isn’t frozen. I can also shoot them which I do all the time, including the one on my. Wall that took a .17 hmr to the head in an unfortunate collision View attachment 773508
He looks like he should be wearing a cape! :D

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #7  
Around these parts - winter trapping is the most successful. Call your state wildlife agency regarding trapping. Many places have a government trapper that will provide the service.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #8  
Howdy this is definitely off topic but I thought I would see if some of the smart folk on here could give me some advice. I live in Northern Utah and have acreage on the Weber River. We had a beaver family that did enormous damage to our cottonwood trees a few years back (prior to my buying the land). I had them trapped and sent off to beaver heaven.

I recently discovered that they are back in the neighborhood. It is to late to bring in a trapper as the river is already pretty significantly iced over so that will have to be done in the spring. I am wondering if anyone on here has had any luck with a repellent. I have read that hot sauce may do the trick but I have a very large river woodland area (at least an acre right on the river) so I wanted to get some feedback before I start in on this. They have already decimated two trees in a matter of a week or so to the point where I will have to fell them as they ready to go and are quite dangerous.

Any advice is appreciated. And, no, I can't fence the area it is to large.

Thanks,
Kevin

They come and go. I ended up putting chain link around some trees to deter them. I also trapped them with great success using Conibear 220 traps. Easy to use, simple to setup, great kill rate. A phone call was all I needed to DNR with the magic word "pest" in it, to get around seasonal and other regulations in my state.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #9  
BTW - welcome to TBN - muttbarker. Around our area the beavers do not bother the cottonwood trees. And fortunately not the pines either. All I have here are Ponderosa pines. Our beavers are strictly the "smooth barked" tree beavers. Popular, alder, quaken asp, willow, birch and, I suppose, fruit trees if they are close enough.

I have an extended family of beavers on my ten acre lake. Their efforts are beneficial. A low dam at the outlet provides excellent water level control. The beavers here pull up cattails and eat the bulbous root structure.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #10  
i have been at war with beavers for a few decades in upstate ny. They can flood 10 acres of my meadows if left unchecked. Agree with trapper; but i enjoy actively putting pressure on them - pulling down their small dams and very importantly - get out there in early spring (snow still on ground) and dissuade them from bedding on my property to have pups. I like the time in the woods, good cardio exercise pulling their dens and dams apart with waders on. A few weeks of nearly daily 'war' and they move to a different section of my streams which are completely wild - no people or farms.