Repelling / Deterring Beavers

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #21  
Devastated is an interesting word choice. Wonder how many critters benefit from that beaver pond, as well as how many types of plants grow in the opened area?
At 8000 feet elevation, not many plants can flourish. Only time there is no snow on the ground is generally July through September (county tries to have the snow plowed off the roads by the 4th of July). Wildlife moves down out of the snow during those months. In Nevada, we need all the trees we can get, and trees do fine at elevation. The lack of trees is why it is almost impossible to get a woodcutting permit.

Last edited:
   / Repelling / Deterring Beavers #22  
Beavers can't help cutting trees. God created them with constantly growing cutter teeth. They must continually use them to prevent overgrowth. So they are compelled to do so. There's no logistical gain for a beaver to cut down a large tree at random. They simply can't help it.

With that said, I'm not defending beavers and their damaging ways. Humans being the superior species simply have to control it where necessary.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #23  
Beavers can't help cutting trees. God created them with constantly growing cutter teeth. They must continually use them to prevent overgrowth. So they are compelled to do so. There's no logistical gain for a beaver to cut down a large tree at random. They simply can't help it.

With that said, I'm not defending beavers and their damaging ways. Humans being the superior species simply have to control it where necessary.
Exactly. Beaver are also one of many species which thrives because of human activity. Their favorite tree is aspen, which is a pioneer species enhanced by human activity.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers
All you ever wanted to know Home - Beaver Deceivers
Wow - interesting concept. Not applicable in my case as my property is on a river that the state controls and they would blow a gasket if anything was placed in it. But I do plan on putting in some ponds and have bookmarked that link.
Thanks

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #27  
I have tried discussing with them their dining habits to see if we could reason a solution. They refused.
I spent one winter tearing out the vent tube of the hut to discourage them and it kinda worked. But they would rebuild overnight and I would have a bigger one to tear out most every day. Eventually they moved, but bank beavers on a river are hard to trap. As another pointed out, my eventual negotiation tactic was .17 HMR.
I have never heard of any successful repellents: I used coyote urine, gasoline, diesel [ before it was so wicked expensive], wood ashes and a number of other items to make the hut unappealing. They had only temporary effects.
Good luck! Success sounds like BANG ;)

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #28  
like many have said, you can catch beavers even if its frozen. You will be at bay for the winter until next year, they don't cut trees during the winter months ... the best repellant is to trap them and far upstream and downstream ... if adjacent populations are present, they will always comeback. I am not aware of any repellant that would last or work other than eliminating their food but that would defeat your purpose.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #29  
A somewhat humorous beaver story happened near here about 10 years ago. Not funny to the land owner or the beaver though.

A beaver dam was constructed on a stream which flooded a small business parking lot. The owner talked to the fish & wildlife commission and was told he couldn't trap the beaver or disturb the dam since the area was protected wetland. His only recourse was to build a dyke and raise the level of his lot. The construction, permit and environmental study costs would have bankrupt the business.

A mysterious explosion occurred about a month later in the middle of the night when someone dynamited the dam. The business owner was conveniently out of town at the time. He was heavily fined anyway but took it to court. The suit lasted for years but the business owner eventually prevailed. His legal fees were far less than the fine or the construction costs which would have been necessary to fix the problem.

Thankfully, the beaver never rebuilt the dam and moved on.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #30  
And if he prevailed in court, the prosecution would have had to pay ALL of his legal fees.