Repelling / Deterring Beavers

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #71  
.... However, I did want to share that I found an effective, non-lethal solution that appears to drive the beavers away from the trees that I want to protect. When I find teeth marks on a tree I spray it with Cole's Flaming Squirrel Seed Sauce. Works like a charm and the the beavers eventually gave up and moved somewhere else.

Interesting. What kind of sprayer did you use to apply? And what do you think the longevity of the product is? Days, weeks, months?

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #72  
I agree you have a right to defend and maintain your property! We developed a beaver problem last year on a shared lake. Three shot, two trapped in a conabear trap, blew the lodge up with tanninite and still caught one on camera. They were dropping 60 to 70 foot trees getting close to our home. I wrapped 50 trees with fencing to keep them from damaging our structures. All these years we had never had a problem until now. I will do what ever it takes no matter who doesn't like it!

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers
Interesting. What kind of sprayer did you use to apply? And what do you think the longevity of the product is? Days, weeks, months?
I just put it into a standard spray bottle that I picked up from Home Depot. As I mentioned, I spot sprayed on fresh beaver cuts, catching them at the beginning, I did not use it as a general preventative only went after them when they went after me (my trees :)).

I would measure its effectiveness in a couple of weeks minimum. I never went back and resprayed any tree as the beavers never went. I will say this stuff is brutal. It is a capsicum based solution and I bought extra heavy duty rubber gloves to wear over my winter gloves. Put it on 8 - 10 degree weather. Can't remember why but I had to unglove to clear something and ended up getting some on me. SO PAINFUL!

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #74  
I just put it into a standard spray bottle that I picked up from Home Depot. As I mentioned, I spot sprayed on fresh beaver cuts, catching them at the beginning, I did not use it as a general preventative only went after them when they went after me (my trees :)).

I would measure its effectiveness in a couple of weeks minimum. I never went back and resprayed any tree as the beavers never went. I will say this stuff is brutal. It is a capsicum based solution and I bought extra heavy duty rubber gloves to wear over my winter gloves. Put it on 8 - 10 degree weather. Can't remember why but I had to unglove to clear something and ended up getting some on me. SO PAINFUL!
Thanks. I guess you will not be gnawing or felling any trees soon. :)

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #75  
I really appreciated the suggestions that I got on this post. I decided to stop replying after charlessenf got on his high horse to tell me that I have no right to control what happens on my land. Yes, it is my land. I own it and I am a steward for it. I did not steal it from the native tribes that were here before me. The beavers cut down trees on the banks of the Weber river which is a major water source for Northern Utah, the Great Salt Lake. Cutting down the trees interferes with the water flow and also creates flooding problems, especially this year with our massive snowfall.

So I choose to ignore Charles's idiotic comments. However, I did want to share that I found an effective, non-lethal solution that appears to drive the beavers away from the trees that I want to protect. When I find teeth marks on a tree I spray it with Cole's Flaming Squirrel Seed Sauce. Works like a charm and the the beavers eventually gave up and moved somewhere else.

Hmmmmm. Never heard of that sauce. Most common is to find them with a small pellet of lead behind either ear. Works better than a charm.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #76  
Had 3-4 beavers a year in our pond my whole life, Dad always took care of them growing up. Moved back home with my wife and dogs a while back and we walked the pond a few times a week. Didn't have a beaver for 5 years, first time ever.

House was built and we moved out, beavers are back. Put dog/coyote piss or hair that should do it. Or get a best bud and walk them around the pond regularly!

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #77  
Had a beaver problem around our boathouse. (I posted about this a while ago.) Just put a lite in the boathouse, and in the winter I use a deicer around the front of the boathouse, which is simply a propeller, hanging upside down in about 5 feet of water. The beavers do not come around, because the noise of the propeller is annoying to them.

Lots of other places for them to do their thing. Our lake is about 8 miles long or so!