Repelling / Deterring Beavers

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #51  
Hmmm, talk about 'tough and single minded!'
You've been a member of TBN for 7 years. You have 12 posts. 4 of which are on this thread. What got you so excited? :)

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #52  
Ranchers and farmers benefit as water stored in beaver-created wetlands and behind beaver ponds provides valuable water during droughts. Cities and towns benefits with improved water quality and more dependable flows.

ECONOMIC BENEFITS OF BEAVER-CREATED AND ...

I see where this might apply out west but here in MO our problem is mostly too much water in flat places. Storing more is not the problem, but when they dam up the spillways on my large pond or dig in the dam danger to everyone downstream increases due to dam failure. 5" to 12" plus rain fall in a day is common enough any time of year for us to plan accordingly.
We also don't have salmon and trout only where the water flows fast enough from the LARGE springs to keep the water cold.
Big Spring - Average Flow: 286 million gallons per day (443 cubic feet per second)

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #53  
Sorry, but no. The beavers were introduced.
Source? Documentation? When were 'beavers introduced' on our continent? I seem to recall reading about how the first Europeans earned by trapping and skinning beaver for food and pelts. And, I do believe they learned that from the native Americans whose land you call "your land and my land" in songs written by the offspring of those who took that valley from them.
There was even a house in this valley that is now underwater.
He built his house at the bottom of the valley? Did he act surprised when he was flooded out? Geeze, even a plumber knows water runs downhill.
Your first and last statements seem to contradict. You say beavers were there first and should have free reign then your last statement says accept it and work with it.
What really is your point?

Well, perhaps you innocently understood "work with it" to include killing the beaver. Perhaps I could have said "live with it" instead. Then again, "live with them in harmony" happy they've yet to discover how to eliminate those "effin' humans that appear intent upon destroying our homes and fellow beaver!"

Damned good thing they don't have no Second Amendment

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #54  

Similar to a Yukon cookbook recipe I picked up about 40 years ago.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #55  
Personally I'm not a fan of beaver meat but it does not go to waste, my dogs love frozen beaver tail. The rest of the animal also becomes snacks for the pack, as does most anything else we don't want to eat "yet".

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #56  
Well, perhaps you innocently understood "work with it" to include killing the beaver. Perhaps I could have said "live with it" instead. Then again, "live with them in harmony" happy they've yet to discover how to eliminate those "effin' humans that appear intent upon destroying our homes and fellow beaver!"

Damned good thing they don't have no Second Amendment
Maybe you should be more worried about the Feds managing wildlife "The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services program killed 404,000 wild animals in 2021. The report said the program killed over 64,000 coyotes, nearly 25,000 beavers and 3000 foxes." Source Data shows that a federal agency killed thousands of wild animals in 2021

Few landowners kill more than a couple of problem beaver or other wildlife per year. I did go the war with raccoons when they decimated my chickens after the raccoon population exploded around here. We trapped 100 in 3 months at the coop entrance - most years we coexist with the raccoon just fine. Of course I'm in middle of a national forest with 3 million acres and there plenty of space for wildlife to live and never even see a human.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #57  
You've been a member of TBN for 7 years. You have 12 posts. 4 of which are on this thread. What got you so excited? :)
1671127239679.png

Well, I suppose it was the thread last week about welding as I was, coincidently, trying out a technique of turning square tube 90 degrees with a round outside corner and was having a bit of difficulty with burn through and repairing same using an old Tombstone Stick Welder.

BTW & before I forget, let me say I like your tag line: "Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have.";)

Then, I came upon the scorched earth response(s) to beaver dams on a thread entitled "Rural Living" and found the incongruity ironic and the "my cottonwood trees" and "our land" (in the context of his situation) thoughtless at best.

Before seeing your tag line, I was responding in part that the OP might do better wanting the little beaver he had and figuring out a way he could live with and enjoy their presence on the lands he and they had borrowed for a generation or two - doing what comes naturally.

It's a pity John Denver's not around, he might have put it better.

(God?) Grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can - and the wisdom to know the difference.

Last edited:
   / Repelling / Deterring Beavers #58  
I haven't seen anybody suggesting a scorched earth policy. Beaver are one of the many animal species which has thrived because of our presence here. There was a time when we did have a negative impact on the population by overtrapping, but that changed long ago. When fur prices were up, beaver was managed extensively, bringing the population to a level where they thrived, yet there was np major conflicts with humans. With the decline of the fur trade there are a lot fewer trappers. Unless you are in an area with wolves, beaver have no major predators, and reproduce quite prolifically. We are accustomed to manipulating nature in ways that suit us. Ny doing so we are able to have homes which can be passed on to generations, among other things.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #59  
My dogs do a pretty good job of keeping nuisance critters away. Not too many beaver in FL (at least not the type I want to keep away), but armadillo & raccoons can get pretty destructive. The dogs will kill & eat some of them, chase the rest away. Raccoons usually take two dogs to avoid a vet visit but I have had two dogs (both females) that would take them on & kill them alone without suffering more than chewed ears. Most prolific raccoon hunter I ever had was a chow/shih tsu mix from the pound. She'd take on raccoons almost as big as she was & win due to her thick fur being almost impenetrable. My current German Shepherd will kill armadillo at night then drag them back to the house to show off. Raccoons avoid her.

/ Repelling / Deterring Beavers #60  
Maybe you should be more worried about the Feds managing wildlife "The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services program killed 404,000 wild animals in 2021. The report said the program killed over 64,000 coyotes, nearly 25,000 beavers and 3000 foxes." Source Data shows that a federal agency killed thousands of wild animals in 2021

Few landowners kill more than a couple of problem beaver or other wildlife per year. I did go the war with raccoons when they decimated my chickens after the raccoon population exploded around here. We trapped 100 in 3 months at the coop entrance - most years we coexist with the raccoon just fine. Of course I'm in middle of a national forest with 3 million acres and there plenty of space for wildlife to live and never even see a human.
Well, is that the "But everyone else does it" justification? Or the "Johnny does it, too" rationale?

And, like it or not, the 'marching orders' for the "FEDERAL GOV'MENT" essentially come from the likes of Lummis and Barrasso who will pass the buck down to "the people I represent," and that's you, no?

The One point four millions mentioned in the item from Wyoming Public TV(?) would, in my state come out to a hair under one thousand and seventy-seven dollars per county - hardly enough to fund a program! That is, in the scope of things (the issue), not worth mentioning.

It has been noted that our species is one of the most, if not the most, destructive species on the planet. When I was in school, we thought we might end human civilization with nuclear war - interestingly enough, burying the wealthiest among us in fallout shelters one might imagine being unearthed some ten thousand years later with the 'archeologists' commenting on the tin food containers stacked neatly beside he skeletons.

Instead, it appears we've decided to raise the mean temperature, melt all the ice, raise sea level and flood us all out - could the beavers have planned this?