Removing L4400 inside air filter element

/ Removing L4400 inside air filter element #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I bought a new outter and a new inner air filter element for my L4400. I had never changed the inner element before. I tried to pull the inner element straight off and could not budge it. I'm not as strong as I used to be so I got a younger, stronger neighbor to help me. He could not budge it either. I am sure that it is supposed to pull straight off, not turning it either way. Am I missing something? Any ideas on how to move it? Has this ever happened to you?

/ Removing L4400 inside air filter element #2  
I twist and pull..

/ Removing L4400 inside air filter element #3  
I recall when I installed the inner filter alignment was interesting so I could get it in far enough to replace the air filter cover. My understanding was that it was to prevent dirt entry should the outer filter experience failure. Under normal use it should not need changed. Even so, it's essentially a slip fit, that is it should just pull off like the outer filter.

/ Removing L4400 inside air filter element #4  
as a footnote, my long time parts guy @ my K dealership recommended handling the inner filter only by the outer edges on either end, that handling the filter overall can compress fibers. & yes, it's a safeguard should the outer filter fail.
not sure if it makes sense, but i avoid handling it as much as possible, i just check that both filters are fully inserted
good luck for it's removal, regards

Last edited:
   / Removing L4400 inside air filter element #5  
RE: my Kubota M6040. Both the inner & outer air filters are "push compression" fit. I've never had a problem with either.

For the OP. It's a twist and pull situation. Could it be that somebody used some type of adhesive on the inner filter. If so - it's likely you will have to damage the inner filter to get it removed. Just be sure the new inner filter is an easy on/easy off situation.

/ Removing L4400 inside air filter element #6  
As I recall as I just changed both of mine, inner filter also has a wing nut and washer for retaining it. I also put a dab of grease around gasket base when I replaced. Both of mine came off incident free. Good luck.

Attachments

• KIMG1924.JPG
    KIMG1924.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
   / Removing L4400 inside air filter element
Today I changed the oil in my tractor and while I was at it I decided to give the air filter one more try. I grabbed it with both hands and was preparing to use all my strength pulling on it when it easily slid right off. I have no words to explain why it wouldn't come off before with two people giving it their all and just popped off today. The only thing different between the first try and today was, the engine was hot the first time I tried and it was cold when I tried today but I can't see how the temperature could make that much difference.