Reiser Trailers

/ Reiser Trailers #1  

Cbgrant74

Tractor
John Deere 318 & 855
New member here, but frequent visitor/lurker. (I figure I don't know much, so I'll learn more by listening than flapping my gums.)

With the introduction out of the way, I'm looking at trailers to haul a compact tractor, probably a John Deere 855, about 100 miles each way to my camp. There are a couple of local dealers for Reiser trailers. They look pretty well-built, all channel frame and cross-members, brakes on both axles, but pricier than some others. They are running about $3,000 for a 7k car hauler, vs. $2,000 for most others.

Reiser Trailers, Utility Trailers Ohio

http://www.reisertrailers.com/carhaulerpdf.pdf

7 x 18 Car Trailer

I don't mind paying more for quality, but I can't find any opinions on Reiser. Does anyone here have experience with them?

Thanks.

/ Reiser Trailers #2  
New member here, but frequent visitor/lurker. (I figure I don't know much, so I'll learn more by listening than flapping my gums.) With the introduction out of the way, I'm looking at trailers to haul a compact tractor, probably a John Deere 855, about 100 miles each way to my camp. There are a couple of local dealers for Reiser trailers. They look pretty well-built, all channel frame and cross-members, brakes on both axles, but pricier than some others. They are running about $3,000 for a 7k car hauler, vs. $2,000 for most others. Reiser Trailers, Utility Trailers Ohio http://www.reisertrailers.com/carhaulerpdf.pdf 7 x 18 Car Trailer I don't mind paying more for quality, but I can't find any opinions on Reiser. Does anyone here have experience with them? Thanks.

Two things stick out.

1st is bias tires. They are junk! Get Radials and go load range D instead of C. Yes, C is enough for 7,000#, but. Not by much. D tires are only about $5 more each and will give you a 20% margins. Get a spare and holder with it.

2nd is it looks heavy. What is the useful load? Remember you must subtract the empty weight from the 7000# GVWR. My car hauler has 5,750# useful load do to it being a light trailer.

Chris

/ Reiser Trailers #3  
I just purchased a Rieser equipment hauler 20' 14k capacity, after a lengthy research period. I was, like everyone else, looking for a well built unit at the best price. I actually found prices on similar design and capacities very close but I would have to travel some distance to retrieve the trailer. Try to find a dealer that sells lots of trailers. This keeps the price as low as possible, generally, due to reduced costs associated with transportation from manufacturer to dealer. A dealer that sells plenty of trailers often get a free trailer or two a year from the manufacturer. The dealers who don't sell many pay more to the manufacturer and pass that cost on to the buyer. I drove 180 miles to get the same trailer my local dealer has on its lot for $1400 cheaper!

My Reiser has the slipper suspension which is a solid design over some of the competition and 6" channel frame with 3" transverse beams at 24" OC. Lights are not LED but does have the 12k foot jack on the front with 2x8 PT decking and radial load E tires.

So, in a nut-shell, prices can be very subjective with respect to quality due to transportation costs to the dealer. Look for trailer qualities and design that best serve your specific application then look for the best price available.

Be careful with trailers in the 10-12k GVWR and make sure you compare apples to apples. Some come with slipper suspension and some don't. Some come with 6 lug tires some come with 8 lug. Others have 16" OC transverse supports and others are 24". I'm sure you get the picture. Good luck. I'm super pleased with my Reiser's quality and certainly the price too.

/ Reiser Trailers #4  
What is the advantage of slipper suspension over equalizer suspension?

/ Reiser Trailers #5  
Slipper suspensions still utilize and equalizer but the spring slips on a wearing surface at the equalizer and generally has more carrying capacity than the conventional double eye leaf spring which is fixed at both ends of the spring.

/ Reiser Trailers #6  
Just looking by looking at the pictures it is a nice looking trailer. It looks a lot like a Kaufman.

/ Reiser Trailers
Thanks for the replies. I agree about the weight - somewhere I saw 2,000 lbs listed, which might be a few hundred more than the average.

What are the opinions on cross-member spacing? Most of them, including the stock Reisers, are 24" OC. I wouldn't build a deck or patio with studs further than 16" OC, but apparently the 24" spacing works for trailers. Is there any value in ordering one with 16" spacing on the cross-members?

What about axles? The 7k car haulers have two 3,500-lb axles, but I saw a dealer offering the same trailer with 5,200-lb axles rated at 10k. Obviously I can put more weight on the 10k trailer, but is there a tradeoff in ride quality if the typical load might only be 4-5000 pounds?

Sadie72, I notice you are in Vermont; I'm in Mass. What was the dealer you used?

/ Reiser Trailers #8  
I would go with one a 10k trailer. I doubt you will notice a difference in the ride over a 7k.

/ Reiser Trailers #9  
Central NH Trailers. Great experience and price.

/ Reiser Trailers #10  
What are the opinions on cross-member spacing? Most of them, including the stock Reisers, are 24" OC. I wouldn't build a deck or patio with studs further than 16" OC, but apparently the 24" spacing works for trailers. Is there any value in ordering one with 16" spacing on the cross-members?

Those are quite debatable questions .I worked a job shipping from a small factory ,the loads were 4-6500lbs generally speaking BUT they all had jacks on the hitch ,I saw more than one brand new trailer come back with a hole in the 2x8 deck because they didn't think it was necessary to set the jack on a cross member so ultimately the more members you have the easier it is to position your load on top of a member . If I was given a choice I would never load even a semi trailer without being on a cross member .
I even saw a hitch go through the floor of a semi trailer when the driver fell a sleep and went over an approach .