Tire Options Bobcat CT4045/Kioti DK4510

/ Tire Options Bobcat CT4045/Kioti DK4510 #1  

Zane S

Tractor
Bobcat CT4045
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a Bobcat CT4045 (from my understanding, rebranded Kioti DK4510) that I have a very specific need for. I am needing to pull a somewhat heavy trailer (somewhere around 8-10k lbs, not heavy by real world standards but heavy for the conditions) through some pretty sandy country. As of right now, I am unable to do so with a 4x4 truck on 35's do to low float from the trailer tires, they want to dig in. While higher float trailer tires are in the works, I would like to get the life out of them before I change everything up and would like avoid having two sets of tires floating around. Since the ultimate goal is to eventually pull this trailer exclusively with a tractor, I would like to start getting the tractor side ironed out first anyway. I haven't tried this setup yet with the tractor as is but would prefer to be over prepared as in the area I'm going, if I get stuck I'm likely to lose a day or two just in recovery. If all goes well with this, there will be times when I will be taking the same setup through essentially small sand dunes and while I know there are smart ways to navigate them, there is a need to be able to go as far as absolutely possible with as few detours as possible.

My ideal solution I think would be duals. Since the tractor has other purposes than just this specific job, I would prefer to have the ability to remove the outer tires for better hauling manners on my drop deck trailer (I suspect with duals, the outers would want to be on my fenders when loaded correctly, I can counter act this with additional forward weight for instances when the duals are necessary but would prefer not to have to tote extra weight around when the extra float isn't required). I have all the necessary equipment to mount and unmount the duals at my disposal so it would just be a matter of time to do it. It seems the most common way to add duals on compact tractors is wheel spacers which from, truck days, make me a little nervous and make me wonder if the better solution would be to find an extra wide single option for the rear.

I'm extremely new to the tractor modification world so I have no idea what's kosher, what's obvious and what's taboo. I've been around small tractors my whole life but have never come across a super specific need like this so hopefully I'm not coming across as super dumb.

I have searched to the extent of my knowledge of key words, etc. without any luck on finding an off the shelf solution to either option so my hope is someone here can give me a jumping off point on where to look or what to do. Of course these are just the two options that came to mind so if anyone has any other ideas, I'm happy to hear them.

/ Tire Options Bobcat CT4045/Kioti DK4510 #2  
They used to offer a extra wide R3 tire called a Galaxy. It had shallow tread and was intended for golf courses. I have not heard these tires mentioned in many years, or if they are still made. That said, 10,000 lbs being towed in a sand dune is a big order....I would think a CTL to be a better prime mover, and thats assuming the trailer has the flotation.

/ Tire Options Bobcat CT4045/Kioti DK4510
They used to offer a extra wide R3 tire called a Galaxy. It had shallow tread and was intended for golf courses. I have not heard these tires mentioned in many years, or if they are still made. That said, 10,000 lbs being towed in a sand dune is a big order....I would think a CTL to be a better prime mover, and thats assuming the trailer has the flotation.
Thanks Wolfy! I'll see if I can find some info on those tires or something that may have replaced them. As for the CTL, I completely agree but I don't have one at the moment. Plus my end goal is to remote controls back to trailer for operation (steering, hydrostat) from the trailer and that is a lot cheaper to do with a tractor than CTL. My skid steer is a Bobcat and is "RC Ready" but they wanted something like 15k for a remote. At that point I'm halfway to a brand new tractor. Figured I would see if I could come up with a clever way to sidestep that option.