reading a dial caliper

/ reading a dial caliper #51  
I have wanted a simple vernier caliper but SAE were marked in 1/128" and I wanted decimal. To get decimal one had to buy metric. Unless one didn't mind spending $100+, which was beyond the task intended.
good point. on a good quality mic or caliper (i was using SAE in decimals) lining up the markings on the vernier could be more accurate than cheap dig equipment today. i just use the technology old or new that fits my needs.
i sure do miss my B&S Starret & Mitutoyo machinist tools.

Last edited:
   / reading a dial caliper #52  
I feel almost embarrassed to ask this, but I need to confirm my numbers are correct.

in the photo is this approximately 47.62 mm?, its saddening, since I use a metric digital one a ton, but people love their old school.
Thats a 2" exhaust pipe,measure OD

/ reading a dial caliper #53  
Before I'd say 1.866 or 1.867 I'd like to know the dial caliper was zeroed before measurement started.

A Harbor Freight digital will require a battery every month seemingly even if not used.

A Mitutoyo will go years. But cost more than the batteries the HF used.

I bought a high quality plastic dial caliper decades ago at a hamfest. Didn't know how good of quality it actually turned out to be but have used it hundreds of hours. Am not machining cylinders or anything like that, was laying out PCBs. Needed to physically see how big things were I was seeing in spec sheets. Needed to double check the spec sheet to the parts in my hands. Boss looked at me a bit funny to be sitting at a computer with dial caliper in one hand but loved my results.
Remove the battery after use and it will last years too .Must be something in the design that slowly drains them when left installed.

/ reading a dial caliper #54  
I feel almost embarrassed to ask this, but I need to confirm my numbers are correct.

in the photo is this approximately 47.62 mm?, its saddening, since I use a metric digital one a ton, but people love their old school.

From the angle in the photo it looks like 1.668 inches, but given "parallax" it is probably 1.665 or so, if it were viewed "dead on square" to the dial, or, 42.291 mm.

It looks like a pipe for a fence post, so why is accuracy an issue?

/ reading a dial caliper #55  
All you people who dis metric.

How big is the engine in your car? Odds are, you just used a metric measurement.

How do machinists generally measure? In fractions or decimals? Decimals of course, exactly like the metric system.

How many of you are using a vernier caliper and measuring in fractions? The majority of you said get digital, use decimals, exactly like the metric system.

Get out of the 17th century already. Or trade in your cell phones and go back to tin cans and string.

FYI, I use vernier calipers and measure in fractions, though metric is far, far easier, for the simple matter of going to the store to buy something, it's sold in fractions.

/ reading a dial caliper #57  
1.866 in
47.3964 mm
I've had problems with digital being inaccurate because of battery state so I always keep my dial calipers handy.

Remember to always "park" the jaws with a gap, locked in place and keep them in the case.

Good luck

/ reading a dial caliper #58  
1.866 in
47.3964 mm
I've had problems with digital being inaccurate because of battery state so I always keep my dial calipers handy.

Remember to always "park" the jaws with a gap, locked in place and keep them in the case.

Good luck
Why the gap thing?