reading a dial caliper

/ reading a dial caliper #61  
I’m reading the dial at 1.9665 which would convert to 49.949mm.
Nah, it hasn't moved past the nine in the picture.
1679420082495.png

/ reading a dial caliper #64  
I'm reading 2.378
Is all this to decide whether to use a big hammer or a small hammer.....
As my Russian employee used to say about a machine shop we used to farm out to, with work that came back out of spec: "their tolerance is +/- train station."

/ reading a dial caliper #65  
I use a caliper so rusty and old that I don't even try the numbers. I just hold the calipers against a known good measuring tape. But I'm in Arkansas, y'all probably expect that from me.
Do you hunt squirrel? My Arky aunt and uncle had a freezer full of squirrel, and a squirrel coat.

/ reading a dial caliper #66  
Do you hunt squirrel? My Arky aunt and uncle had a freezer full of squirrel, and a squirrel coat.
I don't have a squirrel coat. It's a regular thing to see drivers with a few squirrel tails on their radio antennas. I never did. I went in one guy's house, a black fella. He had a pile of squirrel tails waist high in the corner of his living room. I was there buying a 71 Ford pickup body from him for 75 dollars. Good body but it had them big velour electric bucket seats out of a Cadillac screwed to some plywood and plywood screwed to the truck. But, I have a 71 F 250 4x4 so all them parts bodywise fits it. But, I have to pull the engine in my truck because someone put the clutch linkage together all whappy jawed, and pulling engine is best way to straighten things out.

/ reading a dial caliper #67  
And this is why we need emojis for feedback, not just the like button.

/ reading a dial caliper #69  
You think a dial caliper is old school? How about a vernier caliper?
Hey, I use one just about everyday. Up to 0.2 mm accuracy, it gets the job done and I don't have to careful to not break the lens on the dial caliper.

/ reading a dial caliper #70  
All you people who dis metric.

How big is the engine in your car? Odds are, you just used a metric measurement.

How do machinists generally measure? In fractions or decimals? Decimals of course, exactly like the metric system.

How many of you are using a vernier caliper and measuring in fractions? The majority of you said get digital, use decimals, exactly like the metric system.

Get out of the 17th century already. Or trade in your cell phones and go back to tin cans and string.

FYI, I use vernier calipers and measure in fractions, though metric is far, far easier, for the simple matter of going to the store to buy something, it's sold in fractions.

base 10 is base 10, it doesn’t matter if the basic unit is based on the Angstrom unit or the kings arm! I have always worked in decimal inches in the tool and die industry, when we switched to metric it was still base 10 and decimal millimeters. I have never seen a die drawing called out in F’in centimeters! There’s no advantage to the metric system that I can see.