reading a dial caliper

/ reading a dial caliper #41  
Being a young mechanic back in the 1980s my main objection to metric was the cost of switching to metric hand tools.

Fast forward forty years and I have complete sets of imperial and metric!

Engineering wise the United States would have been money ahead had we just had the fortitude and common sense to go metric so many years ago.

It would still be a good decision, but we might not get as much return on investment if Putin decides to blow up the world!

/ reading a dial caliper #43  
Yeah ... in the 70's, I used to make extra money on labor as the "foreign car mechanic" because I DID have a set of metric sockets & wrenches.

/ reading a dial caliper #44  
Being a young mechanic back in the 1980s my main objection to metric was the cost of switching to metric hand tools.

Fast forward forty years and I have complete sets of imperial and metric!

Engineering wise the United States would have been money ahead had we just had the fortitude and common sense to go metric so many years ago.

It would still be a good decision, but we might not get as much return on investment if Putin decides to blow up the world!
Depends who's doing the engineering, they already have. I'm in custom mfg'ing, I get my share of inquiries with specs listed in metric.

Personally, I have a mental block to it coz I think in inches/feet, but yeh my opposition here on this thread to metric is just me playing around. It's impossible to argue that imperial is a superior system to metric.

/ reading a dial caliper #45  
I read about tolerance and not mixing fractions and decimals earlier in the thread. I worked in a sheet metal shop for several years then ran it for about a decade. Our standard practice was mixing fractions and decimals on the prints to denote tolerances. Decimal measurements were typically +- 0.010 tolerance and fractional measurements were typically +- 1/32. Most of our prints ended up with decimals written next to the fractions to keep us from having to do the math every time.

The engineers also liked to do +0 and minus some measurement for tolerance or -0 plus some measurement

Don't even get me started on phantom lines....

/ reading a dial caliper #46  
Not a machinist, but I read that as 1.8665 inches or 47.41 mm
I was going to say 1.867 but it's hard to tell at the angle and no mention of accuracy. I do "bananas" not unviewable millihenries or whatever. ;)

/ reading a dial caliper #47  
All this reminded me of the old saying.

"Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut it with an axe"

Bruce

/ reading a dial caliper #48  
1.866 or maybe 1.867. Digital caliper batteries dying is kinda a nuisance but the ability to transfer between metric and decimal and sometimes fractions is nice.
Before I'd say 1.866 or 1.867 I'd like to know the dial caliper was zeroed before measurement started.

A Harbor Freight digital will require a battery every month seemingly even if not used.

A Mitutoyo will go years. But cost more than the batteries the HF used.

I bought a high quality plastic dial caliper decades ago at a hamfest. Didn't know how good of quality it actually turned out to be but have used it hundreds of hours. Am not machining cylinders or anything like that, was laying out PCBs. Needed to physically see how big things were I was seeing in spec sheets. Needed to double check the spec sheet to the parts in my hands. Boss looked at me a bit funny to be sitting at a computer with dial caliper in one hand but loved my results.

/ reading a dial caliper #49  
i remember back in my machinist days...reading a vernier scale on a mic or caliper. & probably accurate as a scale if the machinist's eye is accurate. i quickly converted to dig readout so long ago. love the old tools though
I have wanted a simple vernier caliper but SAE were marked in 1/128" and I wanted decimal. To get decimal one had to buy metric. Unless one didn't mind spending $100+, which was beyond the task intended.

/ reading a dial caliper #50  
I started with a Japanese motorcycle in 1975, a used Dodge in 1976, then a Japanese automobile in 1978. The Dodge used SAE so I borrowed when I needed tools. But only bought metric.

Knew Sears was going to h in a handbasket when they quit carrying separate metric and SAE tool kits, all were combination, one had to purchase a complete set of SAE to get metric. Sadly I was right.