Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,611  
So when coal is outlawed, I wonder what will happen to all the great railroads that transported it?
:cry:
The coal trains will be rebuilt to carry electricity, since the electrical distribution grid can't support all of the electric cars they want us to buy.

:)

Bruce

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,612  
You might not know that mines do have a life expectancy. When these are closed, they are reclaimed.
Yes, I do know that, but that wasn’t my question, ArlyA.

My question was, when coal is no longer allowed to be used as a primary energy source, as is currently happening, what will happen to the railroads that haul it?

This is a thread about railroads, and one of the railroads biggest customer is coal companies, so it’s a pretty relevant question…

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,613  
With the Cenovus (Husky) refinery reopening to full capacity soon in Superior's WI, it looks like BNSF is clearing out their yard in Superior's WI East End (Old Town). Given the drifts and snow depth, I would have thought this was a perfect job for a snow dozer but it appears a ballast regulator and wheel loader are doing the work. March 19, 2023View attachment 789863
That's like digging graves with a teaspoon.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,614  
You folks might find this interesting. It's an interactive map of abandoned rail lines in the US.

It takes a bit of time to load, but you can zoom in and click on the lines and it'll tell you who owned it, and some other info if available.

Check it out!

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,615  
My question was, when coal is no longer allowed to be used as a primary energy source, as is currently happening, what will happen to the railroads that haul it?

This is a thread about railroads, and one of the railroads biggest customer is coal companies, so it’s a pretty relevant question…
We still have a ways to go before coal is no longer used for generating electricity. I found gov stats showing in 2021, coal generated 899 billion kilowatt hours of electricity. Natural gas was 1,575 billion, nuclear was 778 billion and renewables like solar and wind were 826 billion. So coal is #2. To replace coals output we will have to build a lot of new solar and wind farms and power plans. No new nuclear plants are being built. We currently have 2000+ gas power plants, and less than 200 are under construction or being planned. Solar and wind farms are being built, but not fast enough to replace coal in 5 years. 80% of solar panels are made in China, and our relationship with China is quickly deteriorating, with military officials talking about war in 1-2 years. I would not count out domestic coal anytime soon.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,616  
Another video of power basin coal trains meet near Douglas WY. One rotatory dump and other gravity and both tracks are ribbon rail. My nephew works for BNSF.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,617  
We still have a ways to go before coal is no longer used for generating electricity. I found gov stats showing in 2021, coal generated 899 billion kilowatt hours of electricity. Natural gas was 1,575 billion, nuclear was 778 billion and renewables like solar and wind were 826 billion. So coal is #2. To replace coals output we will have to build a lot of new solar and wind farms and power plans. No new nuclear plants are being built. We currently have 2000+ gas power plants, and less than 200 are under construction or being planned. Solar and wind farms are being built, but not fast enough to replace coal in 5 years. 80% of solar panels are made in China, and our relationship with China is quickly deteriorating, with military officials talking about war in 1-2 years. I would not count out domestic coal anytime soon.
Solar and wind can not provide the consistent quality energy that the other sources on this list can and do. This country needs new nuclear plants. This over reliance on natural gas plants for peak power is utter stupidity.
Coal is a viable and reasonably cost effective method of power production and much of it is still used for home heating.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,618  
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,619  
Yes,
Personally I wish that there had been more research into nuclear plants. I'd like to systems similar to what our Navy uses sized to fit railroads. They could be compact and portable, sited were the power is needed without thousands of miles of transmission lines. When refueling or maintenance was required just ship them back to the manufacture and plug in another setup.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,620  
Living across from an active rail line was one of the best parts of living in Texas; what I presume to be coal hoppers were being hauled by us multitple times a day. Large, long trains, a lot of fun for someone like me; even the missus eventually adapted to the noise.