Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,631  
So, we could debate the causes of rail decline and take this thread down the crapper, but like I said several days ago, why do that to such a fine thread?

How about starting another thread to discuss that topic and keep this one to the lighter side of life.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,632  
Here's my railroad trestle. Well, I own half of it. It and the property line both run north south. This view is facing east. So I own the west half that's facing the camera.

BA8D9C17-12FD-4754-B684-5DE56EFF093A.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,635  
Here's a google earth screen shot of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN and their train loading facility.

13869B01-A79A-42EE-8214-662683CCA82A.jpeg

A bit further west is the Lafayette South Yard.

84B339B7-085F-4FB6-917B-6A6954DB2F80.jpeg

And several intersections to the west of that is where I first saw these signs.... I'm guessing the operator is standing at the yard end of the train using a remote control box for the engine when switching. He/she cannot see the next two intersections from the road.

5CF56E28-3A10-4E45-990C-92DBECB24765.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,636  
Here's my railroad trestle. Well, I own half of it. It and the property line both run north south. This view is facing east. So I own the west half that's facing the camera.

View attachment 790062
I think they stopped using that trestle in the 80s. So about 40 years of neglect. We bought the property around 89. The tracks were long gone, but the ballast remains. To the right the grade opens up and you can see it used to have a siding there. A long deceased friend of mine that used to work for the NJI&I said the line was single track except for that spot, so they had to pull in there to let trains pass when needed. It was only about 1/2 mile long, as far as I can tell.

Someone tried to burn that trestle down before we bought the property. It kinda put itself out, I guess. Still seems pretty sturdy. But I wouldn't drive any equipment over it.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,637  
Houghton and Hancock Lift Span Bridge, showing Ranger III passing under it, Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan - not posted, date c. 1960. I've been on the Ranger and crossed this bridge about 1000 times.
337242429_1116997393028394_7786523267616475523_n.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,638  
So, we could debate the causes of rail decline and take this thread down the crapper, but like I said several days ago, why do that to such a fine thread?

How about starting another thread to discuss that topic and keep this one to the lighter side of life.
Just to set the record straight, I wasn’t implying any agenda other that the fact that rapidly declining coal mining will reduce the number of railroads and their tracks, which is after all what the thread title is.
If that’s taking the thread “down the crapper”, then ok, whatever. We will just do the happy RR talk. :)