Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,591  
Wonder why taxpayer confiscated funds were distributed to a clown like that with no oversight? You would think we could do a basic accounting of where the funds were spent?
We did. Nuff said.

Subsequently ... the RW will likely become part of the State Parks system.
Wikipedia:
Financial disarray and legal troubles beginning before the turn of the millennium[22] have caused the North Coast Rail Authority to fall out of favor with state officials and the public,[23] who have moved to replace the length of the former railroad with pedestrian trails.[24] California's 2018 Great Redwood Trail Act includes detailed plans for investigating and resolving the Authority's debts, dissolving the NCRA, and converting its rights-of-way to rail-trail.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,592  
We did. Nuff said.

Subsequently ... the RW will likely become part of the State Parks system.
Wikipedia:
Guess the “we did” it part was post mortem, because the funds went into the wrong places and the railroad was run into bankruptcy.
Have fun with your little trail. I’ll take a functioning railroad over that 24/7.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,593  
That North Coast region will never see rail again. There are no longer the lumber mills up north, that needed transport from there down to civilization. The route is 200+ miles of steep rough country, famous for earthquakes, and landslides due to the nature of the soil and heavy rainfall. So without a lot of transport revenue the maintenance costs are overwhelming.

Back in its last days, lobbying from the people around Eureka who wanted to be connected to civilization caused the legislature to try various ways to keep it operating. It's my unfounded impression that that last clown came along and said just let me handle it. But like others, he had disastrous floods, landslides, declining revenue, and pretty much nothing to show for it. I'm glad to see the state took it over, in effect they had already paid for it. That corridor is now more valuable as a tourism resource.

Here are some photos I found showing tourism value, and the rough terrain.

166258.jpg

20190117.jpg

HISTORY1.jpeg

HISTORY2.jpeg

ncra.jpg

Kayaker-and-legacy-cars.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,594  
Beautiful country. Wife and I get a lot of use out of rails to trails.

Something I've noticed in my hobby of following railroad grades on google earth looking for roundhouses and roundhouse foundations is the number of redundant paths between major hubs.

Back in the late 60s they abandoned a line from South Bend in north central Indiana that went straight south to Indianapolis. There were 3 lines that went south out of here. All owned by different railroads. The other 2 eventually got abandoned as well. But if you look at it, about 18 miles to our east is a major rail yard. It's huge. And there are tracks there that go south and eventually hit Indianapolis. My wife's nephew operated trains on the line for a few years. Just yesterday my wife and I got stopped by a train on that track.

It also interfaces with about half a dozen east-west routes that cut across northern Indiana.

So the paths are still there. They may be longer, but they are no longer redundant, and in the big picture of things, that's more efficient. Railroad consolidations and closures made the redundant routes abandoned.

As for lots of factories with spurs that are no longer used, rail is only efficient for bulk. Trucking is better for those companies in the long run if they can't fill or use multiple cars of bulk product.

When I used to work at the newspaper, we got almost all of our paper by rail to a warehouse on the outskirts of town. We had a full-time employee that would unload box cars, load the warehouse, load rolls onto our semi, and drive 6-7 loads of paper over to our downtown printing location every day. We used about 30-35 rolls per day. We used about 3-4 box cars per month. As our circulation dropped over the decades, as all newspapers have, we got down to 1 box car per month. It had to be orders many months ahead of time, we were the only customer on the spur, the rails were in great disrepair, and it was cheaper and faster to just order multiple semi loads from the mills VS 1 box car. One of the reasons was a volatile market and we could order less bulk on trucks when prices were high and more bulk on trucks when they were low. Full boxcars months and months ahead of when you need it doesn't allow you to take advantage of those quick market price swings.

I can only imaging the same thing applies to other industries. Time VS bulk VS price VS other variables means for smaller factories, trucking is more economical than rail.

We also have to remember that rail was king until well after WWII. The national highway system that Eisenhower built likely opened up the market to competition between rail and trucking. Just like rail did in canals, trucks did in rail to some extent, other than massive bulk shipments.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,595  
That North Coast region will never see rail again. There are no longer the lumber mills up north, that needed transport from there down to civilization. The route is 200+ miles of steep rough country, famous for earthquakes, and landslides due to the nature of the soil and heavy rainfall. So without a lot of transport revenue the maintenance costs are overwhelming.

Back in its last days, lobbying from the people around Eureka who wanted to be connected to civilization caused the legislature to try various ways to keep it operating. It's my unfounded impression that that last clown came along and said just let me handle it. But like others, he had disastrous floods, landslides, declining revenue, and pretty much nothing to show for it. I'm glad to see the state took it over, in effect they had already paid for it. That corridor is now more valuable as a tourism resource.

Here are some photos I found showing tourism value, and the rough terrain.

166258.jpg

20190117.jpg

HISTORY1.jpeg

HISTORY2.jpeg

ncra.jpg

Kayaker-and-legacy-cars.jpg
Those are really some nice pics. Thanks for posting them.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,596  
All of what is said is true, yet it seems the environmentalists continue to push for more railroads, whidle others are ripped ofr the ground.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,597  
Here is a great video showing bulk products, coal in this case being moved in the powder basin in eastern Wyoming. I lived in this area for 4 years. Shows a shovel working in the Antelope mine removing over-burden and loading a 200 or 300 ton truck.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,598  
So when coal is outlawed, I wonder what will happen to all the great railroads that transported it?

I see a lot of jobs lost and a lot of abandoned rails….

Then rail fans will cry, “oh no….where did all the railroads go!!!“ :cry:

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,599  
Here is a great video showing bulk products, coal in this case being moved in the powder basin in eastern Wyoming. I lived in this area for 4 years. Shows a shovel working in the Antelope mine removing over-burden and loading a 200 or 300 ton truck.
I took my wife and kids out to Montana and back many years ago. While in Wyoming, we drove around a couple of the huge coal mines. The drag line cranes, huge trucks, and train loading facilities were pretty amazing. The mines we drove around were south of Gillette, WY. We sat there and ate lunch while they loaded an almost continuous train with coal. Sights and sounds.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,600  
So when coal is outlawed, I wonder what will happen to all the great railroads that transported it?

I see a lot of jobs lost and a lot of abandoned rails….

Then rail fans will cry, “oh no….where did all the railroads go!!!“ :cry:
I look at it like this. When one technology wanes, another rises.

You might find this 2021 article interesting. At that time, coal made up about 11% of major railroad revenue. It made up 27% of it's tonnage. There's a nice breakdown pie chart that shows where railroads make their revenue.

I doubt trains will go away in our lifetimes.