Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,601  
I used to manage projects at an intermodal company. Ship to Truck to Rail or ship to rail was a major portion of their business.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,602  
I used to manage projects at an intermodal company. Ship to Truck to Rail or ship to rail was a major portion of their business.
I used to work for an intermodal company. I loaded army trucks and postal vans onto train cars from the AMGeneral plant in South Bend. Most of the old Army trucks came in by rail, were refurbished, then left by truck or were driven out of the factory to rail spurs around the area, loaded onto trains, and shipped out. That was early-mid 80's.

Interestingly, the current HUMMER plant in Mishawaka, IN (the next town over) does not have rail access. Everything is shipped in and out by trucks.

Our town has over 100 trains a day going through it. There's a major Norfolk Southern line and a major Canadian National (Formerly Grand Trunk and Western) line. They meet on one side of town, share some trackage and cross over in a 2 mile stretch, then separate on the other side of town. It's quite a busy rail corridor, and you see all kinds of stuff.

Interestingly, we see coal trains daily. Many times, full coal trains pass each other in opposite directions. So someone west is shipping coal east while someone east is shipping coal west.

Some it destined for power plants. Others for steel mills.

We also have an electric interurban train the goes to Chicago. The South Shore. It's a good way to commute to Chicago, and costs much less VS driving when you figure $ per mile it takes to operate your car and then add in parking fees. On weekends, and adult can take up to 2 kids for free. Very economical. I don't see that going away anytime in the near future.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,603  
I was involved in the research and planning of a new poultry feed mill beginning about 10 years ago. Our old mill and its rail siding could only take 10 hopper cars of corn at a time. We got the “single“ car rate from CSX. About $3600 per car, Midwest to NE Georgia. Basically $1.00 per bushel of corn. We used around 50 cars a week or 160,000 bushels at that time.

The proposed new mill with a 1.5 miles of loop siding could take
90 -120 car unit trains. Freight cost was about $2,300 per car or $0.65 per bushel. The simplest justification for a new mill was that the railroad would pay for the new $30 million mill in 10 years or so.

162,000 x $.35 x 52 = $2,948,400 savings per year.

The new mill opened in 2021. I was retired by then thankfully 😅.

1679410687582.jpeg

1679410709395.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,604  
I was involved in the research and planning of a new poultry feed mill beginning about 10 years ago. Our old mill and its rail siding could only take 10 hopper cars of corn at a time. We got the “single“ car rate from CSX. About $3600 per car, Midwest to NE Georgia. Basically $1.00 per bushel of corn. We used around 50 cars a week or 160,000 bushels at that time.

The proposed new mill with a 1.5 miles of loop siding could take
90 -120 car unit trains. Freight cost was about $2,300 per car or $0.65 per bushel. The simplest justification for a new mill was that the railroad would pay for the new $30 million mill in 10 years or so.

162,000 x $.35 x 52 = $2,948,400 savings per year.

The new mill opened in 2021. I was retired by then thankfully 😅.

View attachment 789688
View attachment 789689
There are three of those along that north/south line I was talking about between Elkhart and Indianapolis earlier. All pretty new. Two have the full loops. 1 is a partial.

2B61C1E0-D664-4885-9E39-EFE063BD14E4.jpeg 3ECBC9C7-5298-4F03-9602-FC25B841F5C4.jpeg EAB0DC88-6A85-4467-B5D8-6C0CF5F04293.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,605  
Thought you folks might enjoy this.

It's the Kingsbury industrial park. It was a munitions plant built for WWII, closed, and then reopened during the Korean War, I believe.

Tracks came in from the west then wishbones out on each side. Down each row were small buildings where they stored the munitions. They kept them separated in case of, well, BOOM!

I believe there were 4 large munitions assembly buildings. Maybe 8. The texts of history are confusing.

In the upper right of the photo you can see some of the buildings are still there. All kinds of smaller companies in there now, but most of the original buildings are long gone.

To the left of the photo is a huge recreation area. Hunting and fishing, a rifle range. And there are contaminated areas where munitions are still found to this day. There are bunkers in the woods. Not too many left anymore, but there were a lot when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s.

48220FB1-60EC-4E6F-920B-D8FB4C2B6252.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,606  
Somewhat related: Cleveland Cliffs Steel bought the 2 steel mills near me. They were both owned by Lukens Steel until about 20 years ago. 20 years ago they were purchased by Arcellor Mittal. Arcellor Mital sold to Cleveland Cliffs.
Both mills now American owned again, producing the widest & thickest steel plate in North America.

East Penn’s biggest customer is the Cleveland-Cliffs Steel mill. They bring them scrap steel which is melted into new steel. They also ship-out the finished steel to customers and ports.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,608  
My first carmen job was at Igloo SD a retired WWII munition storage facility. They had buildings, overhead cranes and lots of tracks there. Some of the buidings in these photos I worked in. This is located along BNSF double main line abnd when I resided there, had a full train pass there every 20 minutes..

or

#2,609  
With the Cenovus (Husky) refinery reopening to full capacity soon in Superior's WI, it looks like BNSF is clearing out their yard in Superior's WI East End (Old Town). Given the drifts and snow depth, I would have thought this was a perfect job for a snow dozer but it appears a ballast regulator and wheel loader are doing the work. March 19, 2023
336725192_1411094579647610_8291617033316742882_n.jpg

#2,610  
So when coal is outlawed, I wonder what will happen to all the great railroads that transported it?

I see a lot of jobs lost and a lot of abandoned rails….

Then rail fans will cry, “oh no….where did all the railroads go!!!“ :cry:
You might not know that mines do have a life expectancy. When these are closed, they are reclaimed.